Rescued abandoned chicken - has white butt, barely eating, watery yellow poo w black pieces

So true Kymette...some days when we are trying to force solutions...we just have to share our love with other creatures and our planet. It's powerful.
love.gif

Your hen does love you. XOX

Shelly

Errrghh, yes, looks like a worm.

That picture of me and Bumpers was taken well after I nursed her back from a broken hip. The demon dachsund had been here and had torn Caramel up, and I couldn't find Bumpers. I looked everywhere, all that day and night. The next morning I went out and there she was, sitting next to the pen! I grabbed her up and hugged her and my daughter said she'd never have believed it if she hadn't seen it, and she took the picture. I kept telling her chickens have hearts, but she thought they were emotionless poop machines. My daughter said as soon as I hugged her up close, her eyes slid closed and she went from being scared to being totally at peace.

It was enough to turn me into a crazy chicken lady. Just because a creature doesn't express their feelings the same way we do, doesn't mean they don't have them. Most people just want to see them as an unthinking, unfeeling food source. And then people like you come along, people who are willing to go so far out of their way to help a creature most people would write off, and it just does my soul a lot of good to be reminded that there are people like you out there. There are a lot of good people on this website. Good stewards.

Glad to see her looking better... Probably a good time to find some wormer, which is not easy in Canada. From what I have been told, you can but 10% fenbendazole horse wormer (Safeguard or Panacur paste), but not the liquid, so that's what I would try to find.

I would give .5ml per 1kg (2.2 pounds) by mouth and repeat in ten days.

This is the paste

This is what the liquid looks like just in case you find it

-Kathy

Kathy! YOU ARE certainly making a difference in this world! What a patient, caring and sharing person you are! helpful! committed! understanding! considerate! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'll track down some de-wormer! Kyzmette! Your kind words made me feel good about who I am when many people around me raised one eyebrow when I explained what I was trying to do. It's official, I've joined the "Crazy Lady Chicken Club."

Last edited:
Glad to see her looking better... Probably a good time to find some wormer, which is not easy in Canada. From what I have been told, you can but 10% fenbendazole horse wormer (Safeguard or Panacur paste), but not the liquid, so that's what I would try to find. I would give .5ml per 1kg (2.2 pounds) by mouth and repeat in ten days. This is the paste This is what the liquid looks like just in case you find it -Kathy
Did you get that from a vet or a feed store? -Kathy
I got it at the feed store, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Found it in my hometown! Was asking for chicken de-wormer so no one had it...but ask for Safeguard for horses! :) and voila! Thanks for showing me what it looks like! Saves me a three hour drive! So I just take 0.5mls out per 2.2 pounds ...a little over one full ml...and put it in the chicken's mouth? is that the easiest way to get it into them?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom