Rescued chicken with distended vent.

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi
Got 3 RIR hens tonight along with 4 Khaki Campbells. All of them appear in good health, i checked for mites on the hens and didn't find any, no scaley leg mites either. I found a bulging vent on one of the hens and i could see some poo in the vent. All three of the hens have dirty bottoms but the vents looked good on the other 2. My plan tomorrow is to bring in the hen with the bulging vent and bath her, add some apple cider vinegar to their water and im not sure what else i should do. I don't have a photo as these girls came in late tonite and i had to set up a temporary holding pen. I have had chickens for years and always take them in when people have to get rid of them but ive never dealt with a bulging vent. The previous owner said "oh that chicken lays 3 eggs a day thats why her butt looks like that, she's sore". Crazyfeathers shakes her head.... All of the hens have good weight and combs are nice and red. The one with the vent issue does not appear to be in distress as she ate and drank well tonite. Ideas please. Thanks

Without seeing what is going on, "distended" can mean one thing to you and another to someone else. Pictures will definately help.
But with your description just off the top of my head two things come to mind prolapse or vent gleet.
There are a lot of articles/threads and treatment about each one BYC and here is an article on each one (with photos) to get you started.
Hope this helps.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/

Thank you. I looked in the emergency section but just couldn't find what i was searching for. I will check out these links. Thank you for the information.

Pictures can help us, and you can feel inside the vent with one gloved finger an inch or so for a stuck egg. She may be prolapsed especially if you see red tissue hanging outdide the vent, or it might just be that she is straining from constipation or from a stuck egg. If you see red tissue that looks like it should be inside, then put honey or preparation H hemorrhoid cream on it to help shrink the swelling, and try to push it back iknside. The red tissue should be kept moist with honey or cream to not dry out.

I took are of her this morning and everything looks great. Chickolatta even laid an egg late today.
smile.png
i will keep an eagle eye on her.

Glad to hear this! Maybe she was a bit stressed from being moved and really needed to lay an egg and was unsure what to do? Never know.
smile.png

I'm sure you will take good care of her.
Wishing you continued health.

Back
Top Bottom