Rescued hen has tiny white bugs. Help

They look more like mites. Crawling on head and ears. Runny poop. Will get a pic of that tomorrow. Blood on comb only. Her whole body stinks. She spread her wings out. No blood, just a bunch of bare skin. Only noticeable injury is L leg.

Attachments

• 1567049257852868137078.jpg
    1567049257852868137078.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 35
:goodpost: I agree. Start with a total wash up, the bath will also kill a few of the critters on her. The OP will also be able to see what "comes off" in the bath water as well.
Wet feathers make it easy to look at skin and wounds this way she can make note of what else needs to be addressed. Photos too please:D
Permethrin based poultry spray or dust is the easiest things to get at the local TSC. Neosporin can be used on any cuts/wounds.

Hope this girl recovers quickly.

Glad to hear she is doing well!
Is she laying eggs?
Can you give a little more info about how she responds differently to the rooster - does she hide, reject him, etc. How does he respond to her - is he courting her?
Some hens are not that receptive to roosters, they don't squat for them or try to ignore them. I would just observe and give her some time.
She runs from him. He is courting her and I allow him to mount her. When he mounts her, she doesn't just put her head down and tail up, she almost goes completely limp and he crushes her almost flat to ground. She spent 3 night in henhouse. I have to put her in each night and coax out in morning. She hides all the time. When I'm home, I make her socialize. If she tries to hide, I carry back to flock. She is eating some, but not much. Not much water either. Poop was solid, eating and drinking great until the move to the henhouse. Poop is runny again.

Back
Top Bottom