Rescued Hens... no eggs? Should I be worried?

lswindler12

Hatching
Apr 30, 2016
Hi,
I'm new to the forums... although I've been following for years, learning all I can! This past week I "adopted" a leghorn mix hen from the animal shelter, she had been brought in as a stray. She didn't lay any eggs while there, and I've had her a week and no eggs yet. I don't really care if she lays or not, I bought her for bug control and amusement, but should I be worried about her being egg bound? I am still new to raising chickens, so I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I also rescued a hen this past week that according to her former owner, had stopped laying the previous fall. She is a four year old Golden Comet. Again, I don't care if she lays or not, I just want to make sure she is healthy and if there is something I can do to optimize these girls' health please let me know! Right now they are getting GMO free laying pellets, cracked corn as a scratch/treat, oyster shells, and a plethora of vegetable scraps.

I appreciate any advice you have!

It can take a while for a stressed bird to start laying. If she is showing signs of wanting to lay check her stomach and see if it seems distended. If not she probably is just getting used to her new place. patience is a virtue when it comes to chickens.

Back
Top Bottom