Rescued hens -- what are they?

TrixieChickenGal

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 30, 2009
Kingston
Just received these hens as favor to a friend that was getting rid of them -- he didn't know what they were and I am still new to chickens, so any help would be great!

Here is the 1st hen. She lays VERY dark brown eggs.
42188_dsc01760.jpg

another shot of her --- had trouble getting pics of this one, as she is very skittish.
42188_dsc01757.jpg

Here is the 2nd one. She lays light brown eggs.
42188_dsc01765.jpg

Front view:
42188_dsc01766.jpg

Top view:
42188_dsc01768.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks so much Hollywood~I did some research on them & was kinda thinking that was what they were, but I needed an expert opinion! LOL I'm learning a little more every day! Thanks again for the quick response!

Quote:
Naah, I think the first one is some sort of hybrid sexlink. The colors aren't right and the legs are clean. Could just be me but that doesn't look like a Marans.

Quote:
Naah, I think the first one is some sort of hybrid sexlink. The colors aren't right and the legs are clean. Could just be me but that doesn't look like a Marans.

Marans come in feathered and clean legs... And there are several colors out now. If it is laying very dark egg it is more likely a Marans. She could possibly be a mix of colors in Marans too ... Like a black mixed with a Birchen or something

Last edited:
The first could be a marans mix, but she doesnt look like a marans. I would say a likely mix.

The second is likely a buff orp.

Back
Top Bottom