Rescued Injured Pigeon - Feeding and Care tips?

Garden Witch

In the Brooder
May 10, 2015
Greetings:

I rescued an injured pigeon about a week ago (she had a constricted toe), and I'm hoping some of you with much more experience can give me tips on how to feed this lovely bird.

So far, I've been giving her oats, sun flower seeds, and flaxseed until I can get proper pigeon-feed. She has plenty of fresh water to drink.

How much should I feed her? And how many times a day? I'm weary, and I don't want her to over eat.

If anyone has other tips on Pigeon care, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advanced. :)

Sounds like you are doing great taking care of her so far!
smile.png
My pigeons like to eat whole corn, dry peas, unsalted peanuts (as a treat), barley, sunflower seeds and some wild bird seed mixes. I feed my pigeons all they want to eat in the morning and then sometimes give them a little bit in the afternoon too.

I wrote this article a little while ago that has some more info, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/basic-pigeon-care-feeding-and-housing I hope it's useful for you.

My first few pigeons I kept inside but when I got up to 4 pigeons it was a little too much LOL so I built them an outdoor loft/cage.

Thank you kindly! That was a very informative article and helped me out a lot. :)

My pidgie seems to be healing along well and has a healthy appetite! I've put a little apple cider vinegar in her water too, which seems to perk her up quite a bit.

Wow, he is beautiful! (looks like a male to me cause of his eye placement and large feet but I could be wrong).

Glad I could help!

You're probably right! She/he is very burly and has a big bust. But I haven't heard it coo yet, so maybe give or take a week and I'll take better pictures!

So, here is a recent picture of Novi!
Still unsure of her sex, but I've been calling her a she for some time now. She has healed really well and has turned out to be a very happy and responsive pigeon! She does however, coo a lot whenever I'm about to pick her up.
1f62e.png

So, here is a recent picture of Novi! Still unsure of her sex, but I've been calling her a she for some time now. She has healed really well and has turned out to be a very happy and responsive pigeon! She does however, coo a lot whenever I'm about to pick her up.
1f62e.png

Glad she is doing well! I love her eyes, so pretty!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom