Rescued rooster with severe leg injury...

Thanks "One of the girls", Happy New Year to you too!
smile.png

Haven't watched the spur removal video yet but I will. Thanks for posting it. Still learning my way around the computer as I haven't had the internet for years and so much has changed. I really think waiting on the removal would be best for now. Just finished with his soak, which he did seem to enjoy as he started falling asleep. Most surprising was how much he enjoyed being blowen dry! If he was a cat, I'm sure he would of been purring! But by soaking it, scabbing came off and I was horrified all over again by how bad his injury is! It didn't bleed as bad, as I tried not to move it as much as possible.....but without the scab I could clearly see his leg bone! Oh I really hope he pulls through!!

He's relaxing contently in my Living Room, lol. I'll be spending the night on the pull out bed right beside his cage tonight
wink.png

Just wanted to update ya'll....

"Captain" is doing great! Yes he's got his own name now. Haven't got a new picture of his leg...but will get one up when I can. Sadly I've been dealing with my very sick Pygmy goat....I ended up losing him yesterday.
sad.png

But captain has been getting around great on his one good leg, he amazes me with the things he attempts and accomplishes. I just have to keep him separated from my other 2 roosters. Trimmed his spurs, will do more of a removal once his leg heals more....he's got alot of healing left to do.

Quote:
This is very possible, I hate to admit it but I have found one wound around one of my Roosters toes before, luckily I noticed it before it did any damage but It really could have, I am now way more careful about making sure the strings are taken all the way out and put in the trash far away from the chicken pen instead of using the old feed bags as trash bags now. We live and learn, it really could have been a sloppy accident rather than an intentional act of cruelty. Sandy

Good for Captain!!! Glad to hear he's doing so well. Thanks for posting the update, and congrats on the spur removal! How is the rest of the flock doing?
I'm really sorry about your pygmy goat - so sorry for your loss...

Quote:
This is very possible, I hate to admit it but I have found one wound around one of my Roosters toes before, luckily I noticed it before it did any damage but It really could have, I am now way more careful about making sure the strings are taken all the way out and put in the trash far away from the chicken pen instead of using the old feed bags as trash bags now. We live and learn, it really could have been a sloppy accident rather than an intentional act of cruelty. Sandy

Sadly this was no accident....I asked the previous owner if he knew the rooster had a string tied to his leg a few days after I had gotten Captain, he said "Yeah I tied it on him a long time ago". I was so angry I couldn't say anything!

Quote:

Sadly this was no accident....I asked the previous owner if he knew the rooster had a string tied to his leg a few days after I had gotten Captain, he said "Yeah I tied it on him a long time ago". I was so angry I couldn't say anything!

He probably did that to identify him when he was you and then could not catch him to take it off?

Back
Top Bottom