"rescued' yet another one... (graphic pictures)

Forgive the. Expression but it looks like she's getting some meat on her bones! I can see shes filling out in the breast area. You did a good job with that hen apron too fishnet. I like that its covering g her little bare sides and is close to her natural feather coloring. Lovely to see her cute self again. Has she got to peek at the new sisters yet?

yea, I think so too. She feels a little bit heavier when I pick her up. He hen apron what a loooonnnggg trial and error process. What I have found to work really good with a hen with the major loss of feathers is this. It is a basic square of felt folded over a sewn together to make is a double layer. I rectangle is all it is. I sewed elastic about 5 inches long on one side, then sewed velcro onto the elastic and onto the edge of the fabric on the other side. It just wraps around under her wings, over her back and velcros around her belly. Like if she were to be wearing a 'skirt' so to speak. The elastic makes sure that it does not get tight around her crop or belly, and if needed she can get out of it. It's like a horse saddle blanket. It has worked so well. I would definitly use this design again. Maybe i should make a few and see what you guys think?

Nope, i havent let her see the new girls yet. They are still inside with me .lol, BUT I did let one of my Cochins take a peek at them. Peaches got the wierdest look on her face and just froze looking at them. It was so funny.

Last edited:
I'm loving reading your thread! It's good to know there are still good people out there who will step up to rescue a chicken in need, I am constantly dumbfounded that so many people do not even think of them as a animal without any feelings or intellect. I just feel sorry for them because they will never know how amazing and loving chickens are! Its a wonderful feeling to give an animal the utmost respect and care without expecting anything in return, except the joy in watching them live out their fulfilled and enriched lives!

I would be interested in seeing your design fishnet. I copied a design given on a pattern offered here on byc and made two hen aprons two weekends ago. (with polar fleece lining as it's still winter here.
barnie.gif
) any ways did the wing straps with polar fleece strips and velcro and I think it's pretty comfortable under the wing for the girls and keeping them warmer too. I didn't think I'd have to do such a thing as sewing clothes for my chooks but they were my only two layers this winter and the roo-boy knew who was laying. Then broken feathers led to others picking, etc etc....now we need aprons. Oh well at least we can help. Hopefully the feathers will start again before free ranging starts again. I don't want them to get hung up on any twigs or branches, etc.

I tried the regual hen apron and I found that it did not cover what I needed to have covered. She didnt like the around the wing thing as well. This one does not go around the wing at all. It is actually like an apron that you or I would wear around our waist and tie in the back. Like a skirt. I will see if I can draw something up for you to see and get a better picture. I will take it off of her tonight and snap a photo.

Yah...you definitely needed to modify for Hope. Cover her little sides. I'm not sure mine appreciate the around the wing things either... well especially at first but now they seem to be getting along and the polar fleece is pretty soft going around. Now I'm intrigued as to how it works wrapped around her little "waist".

Here's Hopes Coat. such a good design. lol

I took it off of her to kind of try and show you a little better.

See, still a lot of bare spots to fill in yet. but... but... LOOK AT THAT TAIL!!!!

Here I am starting to put it on. I layed it over her back to show you how it lays before I put it under her wings.

i put it under her wings and wrap the elastic around her belly and velcros together. It ends up below her crop.

That's all there is to it! This is the same coat that I have used for 5 months now on her. She knows how to get out of it, and doesnt unless she wants to. She doesnt mind it at all. I have not had any problems at all with it rubbing her or any problems with her crop. It is loose enough with the elastic and sits below it anyway. I tried over 20 different types of coats, aprons, etc. This just ended up working really good for me.

Well she is just the sweetest model ever! She is such a good girl leaving it on too. Isn't that kind of amazing her chosing when and where she wants it. I think she's too smart...
gig.gif
Again, great job fishnet and being willing to improvise for her as she has all these special needs to attend to.

My 11 year old daughter thinks she is so cute and charming... (just like me BTW) I love the picture of her preening with her beautiful tail showing....She just makes us smile all together. Such a pistol.

I'm have enjoyed this website for the last year and finally joined tonight. My first post is to tell you how proud I am of you. I hope your new friend heals both inside and out.

Back
Top Bottom