Rescuing neglected chickens...help!

It can be very hard to say no.

If you take them in you will need to use a real lice/mite killer. DE is not effective in treating active infestations.

They will need light in the shed from windows or light bulbs. Hard to know it's time to eat if it's dark.

A heat lamp can be used to make a warm spot. I don't like them but those birds are likely weak and may need the heat.
I don't use one and agree they likely are acclimated to the cold BUT If you do choose to use one.....
SECURE IT! Then secure it again. Then maybe secure it a third time.
I would hate to read that you had a fire from a fallen lamp.

@chriswodog and @Kusanar - thank you both for the useful information!
Any ideas for heating? The 6 x 7’ shed that I have now is not insulated, and temps get down to below freezing here at night. I do have a heat lamp but suspect that won’t be enough. Putting down pine shavings should definitely help but I worry it won’t be enough to keep them warm. Any suggestions?
Also, I have an old container of DE that I’ve used in the past for dusting chicks with lice and mites. How effective might this be?

I'm in Montana, temps are way below freezing. My coop is not insulated. The chickens do not get supplemental heat. Lots of straw and shavings on the floor should be all they need, especially since it sounds like they are accustomed to the cold.
WTG, taking them on! They'll have a chance to recover. Good luck.
Someone else will chime in re the DE but my understanding is that Permethrian(SP?) is a better choice.

Thank you for taking care of them!

At the beginning, it sounded like a lot to take on (and I'm not implying that it won't be) , but I think 4 chickens should be manageable.

Anything you are offering them will be an improvement for them. And as they are already in an uninsulated coop, they should be ok with an uninsulated coop with you. They will be in a much better condition to handle the cold, thanks to you.

There's only 4 hens left, all around 4 years old. I think I can pull something together in the next few days, I already have a large (albeit empty) shed and a heated waterer that I used to use. I can easily run to the local tractor supply/feed store and pick up all the supplies I need.

What do you guys think? I'm torn here. I really want to help, but I'm gonna need a lot of advice from y'all about treating these chooks for whatever health ailments they're bound to have...I would bet my life that they definitely have lice, mites, and roundworm at the least. If the plan is to go forward with this, what would be the best course of action? Best things to pick up?

@chriswodog and @Kusanar - thank you both for the useful information!
Any ideas for heating? The 6 x 7’ shed that I have now is not insulated, and temps get down to below freezing here at night. I do have a heat lamp but suspect that won’t be enough. Putting down pine shavings should definitely help but I worry it won’t be enough to keep them warm. Any suggestions?
Also, I have an old container of DE that I’ve used in the past for dusting chicks with lice and mites. How effective might this be?
Photos of your shed?
I don't think you will have to provide additional heat. The shed will provide shelter and protection from wind/elements.
If the shed is ready, add a deep layer of bedding - pine shavings, straw - your choice. You've done this before...you got this!
You have a heated waterer, all you need is a feeder.
For roosts, depends on the health of the 4yr old ladies, if they can roost a simple 2X4 secured across a corner or the back wall will be sufficient.
Nesting boxes? You can buy those premade - look at TSC or online. A deep dish pan or two in the corner will work too.

You can use a Permethrin based poultry dust or spray to treat for lice/mites. Since it's winter, dust is better, imho. As for worms...you can use Safeguard liguid goat wormer or Valbazen. We can help you with the dosages.

For food. They are 4yr old hens - you can feed layer feed or an all flock feed. All you want is a nutritionally balanced poultry feed. If they are in poor condition, poultry vitamins in the water for a few days or you can add them to a wet mash. It takes time for chickens to lose condition and it will take time to build them back up. It's tempting to want to get treats/offer goodies, but they need to eat their normal feed for the most part. Provide oyster shell and poultry grit free choice.

As for not having a run, that may be a little more difficult - what is your yard situation - do you a fenced in yard?

Once you get them settled, inspect each one. As you see any issues/concerns, post them, ask questions. We will try to help you in any way we can.

I agree, you should at least try. Sounds like you would probably regret NOT doing anything about them and the clock is ticking. Who better than you?!! Your basic shed and good health and resources is way better than what they have now. The only failure will be failure to act, and all you can do is try. Chances are they may surprise you and you them. One step at a time, one foot in front of the other always taking the next indicated step. I don't believe in coincidence ;). Please send us photos of your rescues, maybe even start a thread? :jumpy:thumbsup
I will post photos for sure! Planning on getting them on Thursday- lots of prepping to do before then!

If you take in these hens put them in your shed, put up some roosts for them and put down wood shavings for them to scratch around in while you wait to build your run in the spring. Pick up some nurti drench so you can give some orally to the hens when you get them home. Dust them with your choice of lice killer and put them on a balanced diet. Give them cooked eggs and scratch 30 minutes before roosting so they can have a full crop to help them stay warm during the night. As long as your shed is draft free the birds will be plenty warm.
Good luck with your rescue hens! 6 months of caring can transform the birds you rescued.
April 13th View attachment 1642165November 25th View attachment 1642166
Thank you for the response! Wow, what a difference in those before and after photos! So awesome:clap

I wouldn't install the heat lamp they're a fire hazard. Not a lot of point in rescuing them if you cook them alive in a fire.
I don't know how sick these poor chickens are but unless it gets extremely cold, they shouldn't need additional heat.
Decent feeding should supply the calories they need to keep warm.
Don't bother with the DE either. There is no evidence that it works. Seriously don't waste your time and money with it.
Permethrin powder, or spray for the mites and lice.
Nutri Drench or any vitamin supplement will help give them a bit of a boost.
I would consider feeding them a mash. A feed at 20% protein and 1% calcium would be ideal. Make the mash by adding warm water until the feed is wet but not so wet that you can pour it.
Tuna and even chopped meat is good.
Plenty of straw or wood shaving on the floor in case as mentioned above they can't make the perches. Temporary nest type boxes with straw in, one big one , might be an idea.
Lots of good advice in the posts above.
Good luck.
That’s a good point with the heat lamp- I’ve used it in the past without any issue (before I got a heated waterer I used to just put the heat lamp close to the water container to keep it from freezing). But I will definitely reconsider it as a fire hazard!
I’ll probably use pine shavings as I’ve heard straw can house lice or mites because it’s hollow.
I’ll look into different foods I can give them like tuna as well.
Thank you!

It can be very hard to say no.

If you take them in you will need to use a real lice/mite killer. DE is not effective in treating active infestations.

They will need light in the shed from windows or light bulbs. Hard to know it's time to eat if it's dark.

A heat lamp can be used to make a warm spot. I don't like them but those birds are likely weak and may need the heat.
I don't use one and agree they likely are acclimated to the cold BUT If you do choose to use one.....
SECURE IT! Then secure it again. Then maybe secure it a third time.
I would hate to read that you had a fire from a fallen lamp.
Thank you for the response! Yeah, I’ll definitely reconsider the heat lamp. I’ve used it in the past without any issues but never thought of it as a fire hazard. Definitely something to consider!
I’ll also look into a good lice/mite killer.
Thank you!

I'm in Montana, temps are way below freezing. My coop is not insulated. The chickens do not get supplemental heat. Lots of straw and shavings on the floor should be all they need, especially since it sounds like they are accustomed to the cold.
WTG, taking them on! They'll have a chance to recover. Good luck.
Someone else will chime in re the DE but my understanding is that Permethrian(SP?) is a better choice.
I’ve heard good things about permethrin and will look into it! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom