Research on worming chickens with albendazole

Quote:
Hope Pine Grove don't mind if I answer this. You give it orally, undiluted. 1/4 cc for standard size birds, 1/8 of a cc for bantams.
ETA: The label should say: Albendazole 11.36% (equivalent to 113.6 mg/ml)

Last edited:
Great post. I just have one question, did you administer any follow up doses or did just one dose do the trick?

HI, did you get an answer on whether to repeat the dose on the Albendazole for deworming your chickens? I just used it last Friday and also would like to know the answer to that. Thanks so much!

One of my hens was looking thin and then I saw a roundworm in droppings this week-ugh! /img/smilies/sickbyc.gif Based on various posts on this site, I decided to worm my hens with Valbazen (albendazole).  Afterwards, I had some serious second thoughts, which led me to do some additional investigation, which ultimately calmed my nerves.  The recommendation to use Valbazen was a good one!  Thanks to BYC! /img/smilies/love.gif

The article that calmed my nerves describes research done on broilers using 3 dose levels of albendazole (5 mg, 10 mg and 20 mg/kg body weight) and then measuring the effectiveness by doing necropsy analysis 7 days after treatment.  Here is the link to the journal article: http://japr.fass.org/cgi/content/full/16/3/392#T1

Summary of study findings and how Ill manage my flock:

1.  There was a high incidence of worms in this 1 year old flock, maintained on litter.  Incidence:

o  Ascaridia galli (roundworms)73% adults; 80% larvae,

o  Heterakis gallinarum (cecal worms)100% adults; 73% larvae

o  Capillaria obsignata. (capillary or thread worms)100% adults; 100% larvae

o  Raillietina cesticillus (tapeworms)53%

2.  There were no adverse effects of albendazole treatments on bird appearance, behavior, apparent appetite, and weight gain.

3.  Good control was seen at 10 mg/kg for all worms except tapeworms, which required 20 mg/kg for control.

4.  Through other medical websites, I found that albendazole is used to treat humans with worm infections.

5.  Conclusions:

o  Since there is a very high incidence of worms in chickens raised on litter, I plan to worm my chickens 2 times per year, or more frequently if I observe worms or weight loss.

o  I will use 10-20 mg albendazole/kg body weight, which translates to:

-  2 pound chicken ~0.1 ml Valbazen

-  4 pound chicken ~0.25 ml Valbazen

-  7 pound chicken ~0.5 ml Valbazen

o  Ill not eat the eggs for 2 weeks, although since albendazole is used in humans, this is probably not essential.

I hope others find this useful.

Thank you for this info! I have a pale faced/lethargic RIR. Going to give the albendazole see if worms aren't be problem.
I have a Peking duck whom I'd also like to treat. Does anyone know if this is safe for him?

What is the youngest you would deworm? I have some 2 month old chicks but found tapeworms in one of the adult hen's poos, so I want to just do them all but not sure if I should wait...

Also, did just one dose work for you?

Back
Top Bottom