Resolved!--Rooster gets air in crop when eating/drinking, coughed up clear mucus

I did a little bit of everything! I started out trying the apple cider vinegar in his water, but he didn't want anything to do with that. He wouldn't drink his water after I pulled that trick on him, so I squirted as much as I could of an epsom salt flush in his mouth with a medicine dropper. I also had some antifungal (Ketoconazole) left over from an infection a cat had on her foot. So, I gave him a dose of that (1/4 pill) each day--he's on day 4 now. Not sure if that was the best choice, but I had to try to help him!. He also got some plain yogurt, which he ate like crazy one day, and hasn't touched it since. He's been reintroduced to his chicken feed, oats, and cracked corn. When I let him out for a little walk around the house, he raids the cat food bowl too. Since he's been inside he doesn't have as much trouble walking either. I think the cold weather is hard on him, and it hasn't even been as cold as usual here.

Thanks for showing you care for Mr. Myrtle. He's my little baby boy...well, old man after 8 years I guess!

Oh yes, I have a soft spot for Roos too! I've never heard of a situation like his, it's good to know what you did for him to help him recover in case I (or anyone else) has the same thing going on. So glad to hear he feels better! I wonder if chickens get arthritis, maybe in his advanced age the cold weather makes him feel it?

He's been a little slower during the winter for the past 2 years. I've figured it's probably arthrits or something with his joints. At least he's getting some benefit from being in the warm house during his recovery!

You may want to give him a little yogurt to kind of reset all the goodies in his system. Sometimes the bad bacteria knock the good ones out of whack.

The little guy had a rough day today, but I think in the long run it was a good thing. He was burping and gurgling all day long. Finally he vomited all kinds of goop. He started choking and went limp so I did all I could to get it out of him. Luckily I managed to bring him out of it and he was left in a bit of a daze. He kept coughing and sounded raspy, so I was afraid he got some of it in his lungs. After a little while of coughing, he was walking around like nothing had happened. I decided to start some antibiotics to prevent any further damage that might have been caused by any vomit going into his airways. Right now he's sleeping more comfortably than I've seen him since I brought him in a week ago. Hoping for the best!

We spent some time tonight watching videos of chickens on YouTube. I think he enjoyed seeing some buddies!

Back
Top Bottom