Respiratory disease HELP!

Funkychickmama

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
Hi all! I have a lovely pair of CCLs that I purchased 3 day’s ago. The rooster this morning starting with gurgling noises when breathing, so I know it is the beginning of a respiratory issue more than likely. I ordered tylan 100 but that will take a few days to get here. I purchased curb side pickup of Duramycin 72-200 injectable that I will be picking up shortly from TSC. Recommendations on dosage sub-q route of the Duramycin? I think the tylan will be good to have on hand going forward, but I need to treat ASAP before it gets worse. Also? Should I go ahead and treat the hen or wait until or if I see symptoms? I’m a nurse and can figure drug calculations pretty well, just need assistance on what the dosing is for birds. Thanks in advance!
Oh! And if I have to treat my hen, is there an egg withdrawal period?

Attachments

• 583BBDE3-1FD4-4786-B9D2-BA5402DB24BB.jpeg
    583BBDE3-1FD4-4786-B9D2-BA5402DB24BB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Injectable oxytetracycline is a drug that does not have an easy dosage, and you may find many different dosages for chickens if you do some searching online. That is mainly because it is made for cattle. I have seen everything from 5 to 20 mg per pound pound given daily posted as a dosage for chickens. Some also want to give it orally. So I would recommend to do a search and then make up your own mind. Be aware, as you know, a virus will not respond to antibiotics, and the bacteria in some diseases has to be sensitive to oxytetracycline for it to work. It helps to get testing to know what you are dealing with. The mist common respiratory diseases are infectious bronchitis virus, MG, coryza, ILT virus, and aspergillosis fungus. Here is a good link with symptoms of these:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Injectable oxytetracycline is a drug that does not have an easy dosage, and you may find many different dosages for chickens if you do some searching online. That is mainly because it is made for cattle. I have seen everything from 5 to 20 mg per pound pound given daily posted as a dosage for chickens. Some also want to give it orally. So I would recommend to do a search and then make up your own mind. Be aware, as you know, a virus will not respond to antibiotics, and the bacteria in some diseases has to be sensitive to oxytetracycline for it to work. It helps to get testing to know what you are dealing with. The mist common respiratory diseases are infectious bronchitis virus, MG, coryza, ILT virus, and aspergillosis fungus. Here is a good link with symptoms of these:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thank you. I’ll look through that. I’ve already put vet rx under wings and along throat. He’s gurgling when he breathes and a little lethargic. Still eating.

Back
Top Bottom