Respiratory disease spreading fast

HeatherMarieR

Chirping
Feb 27, 2015
Somerville, AL
My flock has somehow been exposed to a respiratory disease, and it's spreading fast. I know I should probably cull the flock, but my fiancé is saying that I can't get anymore if I do. Is there any respiratory disease that doesn't stay with the chicken for life? They're sneezing with foamy eyes, and swollen faces. The only thing I've ruled out is wet pox. I have them on Tylan. Someone please give me some glimmer of hope. My birds are my babies.

It is always best to try and get one or two tested to see what you are dealing with. It could be MG or something else such as coryza if there is a bad odor.Respiratory diseases can be brought in on new chickens that are carriers. Depending on what you are dealing with, you can chose to close your flock to birds coming in or going out of your flock, or you can cull sick birds. Consider your flock as carriers especially until you identify the illness. Most diseases such as MG, coryza, and ILT make carriers for life.

Thanks. Someone told me that they thought it was Coryza, but I haven't noticed an odor. We had a lot of rain yesterday, and then I noticed all the sick birds today. I don't know how the two would be connected though since chickens aren't supposed to get colds.

You may wish to consider giving them vitamins / electrolytes in their water - should give their immune system a boost to help fight off whatever they are suffering from.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom