Respiratory disease?

MrsBrown

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2017
Hello!
One of my chickens has always had breathing issues, when I first got her she became ill with what is best decribed as a cold (sneezing, gungy eyes etc) I put this down to stress of moving and she recovered within a few weeks. She's now around 2 1/2 years old and occasionally has had bouts of breathing issues which tend to resolve in a few days however for the last few days she seems 'off colour' and every few breathes gasps for air and throws her head to the side. Is there anything I can do to help her, would it be worth taking her to a vet or is there nothing they can do? My other chickens are completely fine so it's nothing infectious and they have all been wormed so I don't think it's gapeworm.
Thanks in advance
1f413.png
1f413.png

Hello!
One of my chickens has always had breathing issues, when I first got her she became ill with what is best decribed as a cold (sneezing, gungy eyes etc) I put this down to stress of moving and she recovered within a few weeks. She's now around 2 1/2 years old and occasionally has had bouts of breathing issues which tend to resolve in a few days however for the last few days she seems 'off colour' and every few breathes gasps for air and throws her head to the side. Is there anything I can do to help her, would it be worth taking her to a vet or is there nothing they can do? My other chickens are completely fine so it's nothing infectious and they have all been wormed so I don't think it's gapeworm.
Thanks in advance
1f413.png
1f413.png

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

It does sound like she may have a respiratory illness which can be seen when they are stressed (during a move, changes in flock dynamics, molting, etc.). It could also be environmental - dusty bedding, dusty feed, molds, etc.

Gasping and throwing the head to the side is concerning, if you have vet care that would be best.

Check inside her beak for any lesions/plaques and also do a crop check to make sure it's working correctly (check it at night it should be full when she goes to roost, then empty first thing in the morning it should be flat/empty before eating/drinking).

Does she lay eggs? Are they "normal" - no problems with laying? Any swelling/bloat of the abdomen?

Antibiotics like injectable Tylan50 can help with any secondary infections associated with respiratory illness. Since you aren't seeing other symptoms like mucous from the nostrils or runny gunky eyes, antibiotics may not be beneficial. You may want to first try something like VetRx and supportive care (providing poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna) first.

Without knowing the cause determining the course of treatment can be a bit tricky.

fwiw - injectable Tylan50 can be found at most feed stores and can be given orally. Dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5lb of weight for 5days. It's probably best to split the dosage and give 2x a day.

If you have a video of her breathing and actions, that may be helpful as well.

I hope she gets better, keep us posted.

Hi :frow Welcome To BYC

It does sound like she may have a respiratory illness which can be seen when they are stressed (during a move, changes in flock dynamics, molting, etc.).   It could also be environmental - dusty bedding, dusty feed, molds, etc.

Gasping and throwing the head to the side is concerning, if you have vet care that would be best.

Check inside her beak for any lesions/plaques and also do a crop check to make sure it's working correctly (check it at night it should be full when she goes to roost, then empty first thing in the morning it should be flat/empty before eating/drinking).

Does she lay eggs?  Are they "normal" - no problems with laying? Any swelling/bloat of the abdomen?

Antibiotics like injectable Tylan50 can help with any secondary infections associated with respiratory illness.  Since you aren't seeing other symptoms like mucous from the nostrils or runny gunky eyes, antibiotics may not be beneficial.  You may want to first try something like VetRx and supportive care (providing poultry vitamins and extra protein like egg or tuna) first.

Without knowing the cause determining the course of treatment can be a bit tricky.

fwiw - injectable Tylan50 can be found at most feed stores and can be given orally.  Dosage is 1 cc or ml per 5lb of weight for 5days.  It's probably best to split the dosage and give 2x a day.

If you have a video of her breathing and actions, that may be helpful as well.

I hope she gets better, keep us posted.

Hi,
Thanks for your help! I've made a video of her
. I agree that antibiotics may not be the answer as the way that this comes and goes (although is definitely at it's worst at the moment) makes me think its more of a chronic issue. Also I think I would need a prescription for tylan in the UK? She lays rather round eggs(!) but hasn't been laying so much this week and her crop does tend to be quite full but she's almost empty at the moment. My only thought as to what may have triggered it is that there is a lot of oil seed rape in bloom in the area, could the pollen be affecting her?
Many thanks!

The poor dear. Her comb looks like it's a bit purple/blue? That can be an indication of not enough oxygen, given her behavior in the video that would make sense.

Does she have any bloat/swelling of the abdomen?

It's possible it could be environmental, but since she has a "history" of respiratory illness with symptoms like gunky eyes, I would lean toward that being the cause. She may have a weakened system that is allowing illness to present.

I didn't realize you were in the UK, so yes, most likely you need a prescription for any antibiotics. VetRx should be "over the counter" you can order it online or you may even be able to find it at your local feed/pet store.

The poor dear. Her comb looks like it's a bit purple/blue?  That can be an indication of not enough oxygen, given her behavior in the video that would make sense. 

Does she have any bloat/swelling of the abdomen?

It's possible it could be environmental, but since she has a "history" of respiratory illness with symptoms like gunky eyes, I would lean toward that being the cause.  She may have a weakened system that is allowing illness to present. 

I didn't realize you were in the UK, so yes, most likely you need a prescription for any antibiotics.   VetRx should be "over the counter" you can order it online or you may even be able to find it at your local feed/pet store.

She's a bit quieter today but doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe quite as much thank goodness! She doesn't seem to have any sort of abdominal swelling but I agree that its quite likely that she has a weakened immune system. I've bought some 'poultry drops' with amino acids, molasses and vitamins etc in to try and perk her up but she's not eating much so any ideas of ways to get her to eat would be appreciated.
Thanks ever so much!

She's a bit quieter today but doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe quite as much thank goodness! She doesn't seem to have any sort of abdominal swelling but I agree that its quite likely that she has a weakened immune system. I've bought some 'poultry drops' with amino acids, molasses and vitamins etc in to try and perk her up but she's not eating much so any ideas of ways to get her to eat would be appreciated.
Thanks ever so much!
You can try offering wet feed. Mix in a little yogurt to see if she likes that. Chopped egg, tuna or meat are sometimes favored as well.

Mine love having a "mash" - wet feed with a little chopped veggies/fruit or egg mixed in.

Thanks for the update, keep us posted.

You can try offering wet feed.  Mix in a little yogurt to see if she likes that.  Chopped egg, tuna or meat are sometimes favored as well.

Mine love having a "mash" - wet feed with a little chopped veggies/fruit or egg mixed in.  

Thanks for the update, keep us posted.

Update:Chicken has virtually recovered! We bought her in for a night earlier in the week as she had become a little lethargic and temperatures had dropped. After that she began to eat more (particularly liked tuna!) which perked her up. She's still slightly wheezy but not gasping for air like she was. Still no real idea as to what set her off but hopefully won't happen again. Thanks for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom