Respiratory disease?

calicosmurph

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
Memphis
I have a 15 week old silkie and I was about to move it outdoors for the first time with the rest of the flock a couple days ago when I noticed it was keeping its eyes shut and when it did open them they were a cloudy grayish color almost like he might be going blind. I quickly put him back into the crate I have kept him in. He seems to have a runny nose with clear discharge and shakes his head frequently. Last night he started gently opening his mouth and sticking his neck out when he breathes...sometimes a gurgling sound would come out. Today I listened to his breathing and he seems raspy and he is very lethargic and will not open his eyes much at all. I have no idea what to do for him. There isn't a vet I can take him to. I had his crate sitting next to a cage that I was keeping my 4 week old chicks in. I quickly moved the silkie into an isolated room as soon as I saw he was sick. Today one of my 4 week old chicks has been sneezing and acting lethargic so I immediately pulled her out and isolated her. The other chicks seem fine for now. I do not know what I should do. Any ideas or helpful suggestions? Do you think it will affect my whole chick flock? What should I do with the sick chicks?

Get OxyTreacycline.You must follow these steps.

Mix about a half of a pudding making kinda thing in with the medicine I suggested,therefor they will drink it.
After that,assure your giving it to them for 7 days straight.It will not effect anything if not used for seven days.
Be sure his diet consist off scrambled eggs,not bold do to the yolk.
Make sure he is drinking and eating "farely" ok.
Leave him in the house for an extra two days.Until he starts becoming super active and is showing improvement.

Be sure your also adding this medicine to your outside flock.

Do I just add to the watered and let them drink at will? They won't OD that way will they?
What brand do you have? The Durvet brand (below) dosage of oxytetracycline is 2 1/2 tablespoonsful per gallon of water for any size bird. Tylan 50 injectable may be even better, since each bird may be given the medicine orally or by injection. Sick birds don't drink medicated water very well, especially in the cooler months.
Unfortunately many respiratory diseases in chickens are contagious, making carriers of any birds exposed for life. Here is a good link to read about common diseases and their symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

index.php

Tractor supply near me was out of the Tylan so I got the oxytetracycline mentioned above. If it doesn't work I will have to order the Tylan 50 online. These are 4 week old chicks and Durvet recommended a dose of 1/2 tbs for a gallon at 400mg. I followed that. I hope it was correct.

Ok. Gotcha. For some reason I was thinking they both were the same thing. Well, I made another jug this time with the correct dosage. I used the 400mg still because I was scared of giving too high a dose to 4 week old chicks. Several of them are sneezing now and the 15 week old silkie looks awful and still has his eyes shut. They all seem to be eating and drinking ok still. I'm going to give this a couple days and see what happens. Since these chicks may be carriers for life, what do I need to do when I get ready to put them with the rest of my flock when they are older? Will they be able to be with my current healthy flock or will I have to quarantine them for life? I have 6 healthy hens and 3 bantams that they will be sharing a coop with.

Back
Top Bottom