Respiratory Distress

Nicole2845

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
Yesterday I noticed that our 9 month Cream Legbar's comb and waddle seemed a bit pale. This morning, she was laying next to the fence away from the other girls (we have 6 total). I threw out a bit of scrambled egg leftover from breakfast and, of course, they all came running except for her. I went to check on her and she was wheezing, gurgling, sneezing/coughing. I put her down and she wobbled. I immediately brought her inside to our convalescent crate. She does have mucous that pours out of her mouth. Her crop is empty, so it's not a crop issue. I researched and decided to give her penicillin borrowed from another chicken friend/nurse, so we administered by injection. She is really struggling to breath, so we put a diffuser in her crate with some eucalyptus and oregano essential oils (this is what I do for my kids when they can't breath due to an URI). She is sleeping now and breathing heavy. Obviously she has fluid in her lungs. I imagine that if we can get her over this hump, that with the antibiotics she should recover. Anyone have any other insight or tips?

@azygous Do you have any tips? Your advice for our chick with impacted/sour crop got her right through it. Thought I would try you on this issue.

Penicillin may not cut it if this is a fungal respiratory infection.

Oxine is a great product. You can use it in the diffuser and it will kill fungal spores in the lungs, along with any bacteria. I would use that with the penicillin. If you can't find Oxine, though you should be able to online, use Betadine in the diffuser water. It also kills fungal spores as well as bacteria.

Poultry Nutri-drench in her drinking water would also mainline nutrients into her system and help her fight off this thing.

Oxine is a great product. You can use it in the diffuser and it will kill fungal spores in the lungs, along with any bacteria. I would use that with the penicillin. If you can't find Oxine, though you should be able to online, use Betadine in the diffuser water. It also kills fungal spores as well as bacteria.

Poultry Nutri-drench in her drinking water would also mainline nutrients into her system and help her fight off this thing.
Thank you! Betadine, as in the iodine antiseptic?

Well, she just passed away. She jumped up and couldn't breathe, I think, was flopping all over and then collapsed and died.

Back
Top Bottom