Respiratory honking

jonalisa

Codswallop!
8 Years
May 28, 2013
NH
My Coop
My Coop

My 7 year old Buckeye had developed a honking respiratory sound a few weeks ago. First it was a couple times a week, but now it's all the time. Tried dabbing VetRX on her nostrils, etc and also on the rest of the flock. I tried giving her coconut oil in case something was stuck. I sprayed down (oregano spray) and cleaned the coop, which is well aerated. She's seems fine otherwise. I have a 2nd hen may be starting to honk sporadically. I have no meds on hand but will try to get what's needed. Ideas on how to proceed. No chicken vets here.

Oh, yes I remember Jezabel from her swelling in her face a few years ago. She really has done quite well. She looks to be breathing pretty hard. It may be a respiratory disease, such as infectious bronchitis or mycoplasma (MG.) Does she have any enlargement of her lower belly from fluid, which can also cause some labored breathing? Antibiotics are hard to find these days, even Tylan (tylosin) from the feed stores. Tylosin can treat symptoms of MG, and you can sometimes get the powder form for the water here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon for 5 days.

Hello my friend,
Yes Jezebel is a fighter. I'll check her belly and report back.
Thanks for the info and dosing, I'll see what i can find.

People have been reporting that the injectable Tylan 50 injectable has disappeared off shelves just lately. The Tylan 200 dosage is more difficult to measure, since it is so small. I would go with the Tylan soluble powder as well.

People have been reporting that the injectable Tylan 50 injectable has disappeared off shelves just lately. The Tylan 200 dosage is more difficult to measure, since it is so small. I would go with the Tylan soluble powder as well.
Ok perfect. I should have it in a few days. Thank you again,
Jonalisa

Hi back again. I treated withTylosin powder for 5 days at 1tsp per gallon. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Open to more ideas.
Thank you,
Jonalisa

As long as she is doing okay, I would not give any more antibiotics. You might have a look inside her beak for any yellow patches or mucus. We have a chunky favorolles hen who honks like a goose at times. Today with the terrible heat at 97 degrees, she was having some open mouth breathing with some wistles alternating with the honking.

Just following this too. Have one that was sitting on my lap tonight and she sounded like she was purring and here she is congested. :( Have a couple others sneezing occasionally. The heat was horrible over the weekend. Did everything I could to try and keep them comfortable but short of bringing them in the air conditioned house, had no idea what else to do. Could the heat be the cause of this?

As long as she is doing okay, I would not give any more antibiotics. You might have a look inside her beak for any yellow patches or mucus. We have a chunky favorolles hen who honks like a goose at times. Today with the terrible heat at 97 degrees, she was having some open mouth breathing with some wistles alternating with the honking.

Well, nothing unusual in their throats. Both are the same - although Jezebel's honking seems a bit louder. I was thinking of a vaporizer in the coop with some Vet RX, but it's too hot and humid as it is.
I'm about to update my other thread with new necropsy report - but i did call UNH and they said the respiratory issues are likely unrelated to my latest chicken death.

Back
Top Bottom