Respiratory Illness and Impacted Crop at same time, help!

MrDuckLover23

Hatching
Dec 13, 2021
Hello, my 2 year old Australorp hen is currently sick with a respiratory illness, and also has Impacted Crop at the same time! I will be trying to treat the impacted crop, but I am worried the impacted crop will make her weak and more at risk to death from the cold. Is this true? I also think that the crop has made her get the cold in the first place, as she is already weak from her crop and at higher risk of illness. Is this true?
Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

What are her symptoms of respiratory illness - coughing, sneezing, facial swelling, mucous, pus or bubbles in the eyes, etc.?
Have you added new birds recently?
Is she pooping? What's that like? Photos of her poop and of her?

What does her crop feel like? Hard, soft, squishy, dough, fluid filled, sour, etc.?
Any canker lesions inside her beak or a bad odor?

If she has respiratory illness and symptoms, then treat both. Tylosin, Tylan50 or Tetracyclines can be used to treat symptoms of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. Treatment for crop symptoms are in this article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What are her symptoms of respiratory illness - coughing, sneezing, facial swelling, mucous, pus or bubbles in the eyes, etc.?
Have you added new birds recently?
Is she pooping? What's that like? Photos of her poop and of her?

What does her crop feel like? Hard, soft, squishy, dough, fluid filled, sour, etc.?
Any canker lesions inside her beak or a bad odor?

If she has respiratory illness and symptoms, then treat both. Tylosin, Tylan50 or Tetracyclines can be used to treat symptoms of respiratory disease like Mycoplasma. Treatment for crop symptoms are in this article below.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Hey thanks for the reply.
I will start with the symptoms of the cold; sneezing and not as energetic as usual.

The sour crop symptoms are; fermenting/sour odor coming from bird and the crop is extremely big and soft. The crop is not emptying in the morning as well.
I have not added new birds to my flock recently ether, I will treat her and hope for the best.

I would treat the sour crop per the article previously posted.
Sneezing could be from the crop problem, dust, having food particles in the nostrils or possibly respiratory disease.
Often a crop not emptying and turning sour is the result of an underlying condition - a few would be reproductive disorders, worms, coccidiosis and infection.
Getting a fecal float to see if worms and/or coccidiosis are part of the problem is always a good idea - if that's possible.
Some go ahead and deworm while treating for the sour crop to see what may be helpful - it all depends on how you feel about treatment.

I would look her over to make sure lice/mites are not an issue (when a bird is not well, parasites can escalate quickly) and also feel her abdomen for bloat or fluid. I didn't ask if she was currently in molt or if she's in lay - does she have problems laying eggs?

Back
Top Bottom