Respiratory illness

cheesechee

Chirping
May 20, 2021
This morning 2 chickens are dead. 1 laying hen and one near laying pullet. Other birds are getting bubbly noses and are coughing/sneezing. The hen that died had swelling in her face and had a floppy comb. Her neck was kind of wonky looking. Some birds have light diarrhea. I'm setting up an appointment with the vet, but because there's only one avian vet for miles and miles... it'll take a while. I'm going to do the best I can with my vet, but what if it's avian flu? I've heard you have to put down whole flocks if it's detected in it. I live in Texas and I've heard cases are low here, so I'm a little hopeful... I'm just wondering, if it does happen to get detected in my birds, what do I do? If it happens to be something else I think I'll be fine... I'm just worried if I need to put them down...

This morning 2 chickens are dead. 1 laying hen and one near laying pullet. Other birds are getting bubbly noses and are coughing/sneezing. The hen that died had swelling in her face and had a floppy comb. Her neck was kind of wonky looking. Some birds have light diarrhea. I'm setting up an appointment with the vet, but because there's only one avian vet for miles and miles... it'll take a while. I'm going to do the best I can with my vet, but what if it's avian flu? I've heard you have to put down whole flocks if it's detected in it. I live in Texas and I've heard cases are low here, so I'm a little hopeful... I'm just wondering, if it does happen to get detected in my birds, what do I do? If it happens to be something else I think I'll be fine... I'm just worried if I need to put them down...

Are they up to date on their worm treatments? Worms usually cause cold and flu like symptoms in their early stages due to their immune system suppression.

But it sounds like something more serious.

Sorry for your loss. Can you save the 2 bodies, and put them in double clean garbage bags? Then contact your state vet who can perform a necropsy on the bodies today (don’t wait too late to contact them.) They will test for diseases, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) and coryza, 2 common respiratory diseases. That is more likely than avian flu. Have you added any new birds fo your flock in recent days or weeks, that might have been carrying a disease? Tylan or Tylosin are good for treatment of MG, but chickens will remain carriers. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Are they up to date on their worm treatments? Worms usually cause cold and flu like symptoms in their early stages due to their immune system suppression.

But it sounds like something more serious.
Yes, I am very on top of that, we've had issues in the past and we got a good treatment rythm down

Sorry for your loss. Can you save the 2 bodies, and put them in double clean garbage bags? Then contact your state vet who can perform a necropsy on the bodies today (don’t wait too late to contact them.) They will test for diseases, such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) and coryza, 2 common respiratory diseases. Have you added any new birds fo your flock in recent days or weeks, that might have been carrying a disease? Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Last birds we added were about a month ago which were quail. We live DIRECTLY next to a large body of water with many wild ducks and other waterfowl which I heard are primary carriers which is why I'm worrying it could be the worst.

You could try VetRx until you can get to the vet, as this is what I had to do until I was able to get my antibiotics I had ordered from a website that is run by Avian Vet Techs called https://www.springwateravian.farm/
& they also run the Facebook page Crossbeak and Special needs & are a wealth if knowledge. They offer 2 typed of antibiotics for respiratory illnesses & there's other things for chickens, ducks & such. Hugs

Back
Top Bottom