Respiratory infection in baby chick

Chickslady

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
Central New Hampshire
Hi all,
I think my 3 week old baby chick has an respiratory infection. She shakes her head and sneezes and sounds like something is stuck in her throat. She also breathes fast and closses her eyes a lot. She is till eating and drinking well.
I’m new at this . My first time hatching chicks.
I’d appreciate any advice on what I can do to help her and or if I should separate her and or treat the others.
Thanks.

Between two and three weeks is usually when crop issues appear. Check her crop. Compare to the normal chicks. If it's more full than a walnut size pouch, she may be backed up. This can cause fluid backing up into the trachea and it will sound a lot like a respiratory illness, sneezing and coughing.

Also check the vent for clogged poop. It may be necessary to isolate the chick for a while while you watch to see if she's pooping and what the poop looks like.

Have you been feeding treats? If so, what are they? Have the chicks been getting grit?

Thanks for replying..
I’ve been feeding them starter feed. Non-medicated at first then decided after this chick wasn’t doing well that maybe I should give them some medicated starter which I just gave them some today. I’ve offered a little fruit for snacks but they haven’t been interested.
I have not checked her crop so ill do that. If its clogged ,what do I do?
Just an FYI they haven’t been outside .I keep them in a large tote with a lamp. I raised their mothers the same way and they are very healthy hens so I’m stumped as to how they’d have gotten sick at all .
Like I said I’m still pretty new at this.

If the crop is very hard and large, and the chick doesn't seem to be pooping or is trying to poop and chirps rapidly and loudly while straining, it needs to be treated with coconut oil. Measure a teaspoon. Divide into pea size pieces, chill slightly, and feed one piece at a time into the beak. Then gently massage the crop until you feel the mass break up and go down.

You can give another teaspoon of oil if the first one doesn't clear the crop.

Be sure the chicks have plenty of water that is easy to access. I had a chick get impacted around this age when the nipple water bottle failed due to poor venting.

Mineral oil or olive oil. You can chill olive oil and make the tiny pieces solid like coconut oil to make it easier to get into the chick.
i will try that. my poor baby honey is kinda my favorite. and im dealing with what i think it a lump in her throat. she tries to eat but i see her sneeze and throws it up. got her on boiled eggs and hydro hen. we also are separating her from the rest cuz i saw one of the others pecking her beak.

Beak cleaning is something all chickens will do to each other from time to time. Waste not, want not. Baby chicks are better off left with their pals.

Back
Top Bottom