Respiratory Infection PLEASE HELP!!

maziechicken02

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2015

Hi I have a turkey that I think has a respiratory infection the left side of her face is swollen and she has mucus in her mouth and sneezes a lot. Its been really cold lately and we've been trying to keep her under a heat lamp here are some pictures. I took that one and couple days ago when she was feeling better, for a couple days the swelling went down and then went back up a lot we put antibiotics in her water and hasn't been helping that much. I had chickens with the same symptoms and put antibiotics in their water and it helped them hopefully it will help her too. She's such a sweet turkey I would hate to lose her. Is there anything else I could do for her? Anything helps thanks.

Sorry about your turkey. I know more about chickens than turkeys, but turkeys can get mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD.) It is a chronic disease that can come back and makes carriers of most birds in your flock. Symptoms can include sneezing, nasal drainage, eye foam or drainage, and swelling of the face Tylan 200 injectable can treat it, given orally or by injection. Tylan Soluble Powder or oxytetracycline can also be used in the water instead. Here is some info about MG: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...um-infection-mg-infectious-sinusitis-turkeys/

Sorry about your turkey. I know more about chickens than turkeys, but turkeys can get mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD.) It is a chronic disease that can come back and makes carriers of most birds in your flock. Symptoms can include sneezing, nasal drainage, eye foam or drainage, and swelling of the face Tylan 200 injectable can treat it, given orally or by injection. Tylan Soluble Powder or oxytetracycline can also be used in the water instead. Here is some info about MG: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/disea...um-infection-mg-infectious-sinusitis-turkeys/
Thank you! Where can I find tylan 200?

My vet advises that you should give antibiotics for a minimum of 5 days (7 days for more severe cases), even if symptoms clear up before then, and you should discard any eggs laid during the treatment period and for 10 - 14 days after treatment is finished.

If you only have one sick bird then I would avoid treating the whole flock for 2 reasons:

1) you will have to throw ALL your eggs for three weeks
2) Giving birds antibiotics unnecessarily will not only kill good bacteria in their gut, it will leave them open to developing antibiotic resistance, which could mean that if they fall ill in the future it will be harder to find an effective antibiotic to treat them.

When I have one sick bird I weigh it, work out the daily dosage of antibiotic per kg, measure that out and mix it into a small amount of a treat (white rice, sweetcorn, bread...) I then separate the bird and feed the treat before putting it back into the flock. It's a bit more hassle, but better for all your birds in the long run. You also guarantee that the sick bird is getting a full dose of medicine - when you add it to the water you can never be certain exactly how much each individual bird is drinking, so you have no guarantee that they get the full dose every day.

If you need help calculating the dosage then please post the (approximate) weight of your bird, and confirm if it is indeed Tylan 200 liquid you got (the number indicates the strength, and is therefore essential in calculating the dosage). We can then help you work out how much to give your bird each day;

Best of luck.

My vet advises that you should give antibiotics for a minimum of 5 days (7 days for more severe cases), even if symptoms clear up before then, and you should discard any eggs laid during the treatment period and for 10 - 14 days after treatment is finished.

If you only have one sick bird then I would avoid treating the whole flock for 2 reasons:

1) you will have to throw ALL your eggs for three weeks
2) Giving birds antibiotics unnecessarily will not only kill good bacteria in their gut, it will leave them open to developing antibiotic resistance, which could mean that if they fall ill in the future it will be harder to find an effective antibiotic to treat them.

When I have one sick bird I weigh it, work out the daily dosage of antibiotic per kg, measure that out and mix it into a small amount of a treat (white rice, sweetcorn, bread...) I then separate the bird and feed the treat before putting it back into the flock. It's a bit more hassle, but better for all your birds in the long run. You also guarantee that the sick bird is getting a full dose of medicine - when you add it to the water you can never be certain exactly how much each individual bird is drinking, so you have no guarantee that they get the full dose every day.

If you need help calculating the dosage then please post the (approximate) weight of your bird, and confirm if it is indeed Tylan 200 liquid you got (the number indicates the strength, and is therefore essential in calculating the dosage). We can then help you work out how much to give your bird each day;

Best of luck.
Thanks you! I will definitely put the tylan in a little treat for her!

Tylan dose for turkeys is 60 mg per pound per day and it should be given at least twice a day, so if she were mine, she would get Tylan 200 at 0.15 ml per pound twice a day.

Does that help?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom