Respiratory Infection - Please help

snmeyer

In the Brooder
May 23, 2021
I need help figuring out what to do for my chickens. I have called all around town and I can't find anyone that sees chickens. Once vet does but can't get us in for over 3 weeks.

About 4 weeks ago one of my chickens had a nasal discharge and sneezing. Eventually it has gotten to all of our small back yard flock. They are all sneezing/coughing. Sometimes you can hear a rattle when they are breathing. Their normal behavior is fine. They forage, eat, and drink fine. Their combs and waddles still have good color and their wings are not droopy. Their egg production had been normal. So at first I firgured it was just something that would run its course and I gave them VETRX with some vitamins and electrolytes in there water. Some days they seem better and other days they are sneezing a ton. Well now the last two days I have had one chicken laying an egg with a super thing shell.

What suggestions can you give me...Should I try a antibiotic? If so what and how?

Thank you!

This sounds like possible infectious bronchitis virus. It causes sneezing and mild congestion with clear drainage from nostrils that may collect dirt. It lasts in each chicken about a month and spreads through the whole flock eventually. Consider your chickens carriers for 5 months up to a year, so do not add or give away chickens. Bringing in or hatching any new chickens during that time, the bronchitis virus will just keep being passed along. There can be some reproductive or kidney issues related to IBV, so those can affect some later on. Wrinkled or thin egg shells, and watery albumens are a common finding. There is no antibiotic treatment necessary, and sometimes it can become complicated with a secondary infection. They just need to let it run it’s course. If you should lose one send the body in to your state vet for a necropsy to confirm the diagnosis.

This sounds like possible infectious bronchitis virus. It causes sneezing and mild congestion with clear drainage from nostrils that may collect dirt. It lasts in each chicken about a month and spreads through the whole flock eventually. Consider your chickens carriers for 5 months up to a year, so do not add or give away chickens. Bringing in or hatching any new chickens during that time, the bronchitis virus will just keep being passed along. There can be some reproductive or kidney issues related to IBV, so those can affect some later on. Wrinkled or thin egg shells, and watery albumens are a common finding. There is no antibiotic treatment necessary, and sometimes it can become complicated with a secondary infection. They just need to let it run it’s course. If you should lose one send the body in to your state vet for a necropsy to confirm the diagnosis.
Is there anything I can do to help alleviate symptoms? Are the eggs ok to eat?

This has been my go to as a cause. At first I was concerned with Avian Flu but they don't seem to be that sick based on my research.

Back
Top Bottom