Respiratory infection

robinef

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL
Hi all! We Acquired two hens, one is showing early signs of respiratory infection or disease. Wet beak and small bubbles in the eyes. I don't think she's sneezing yet. I was planning to just treat with vet rx, and prophylactly to the other one. Will this be enough? We don't have any other chickens, just these two. They're not laying yet, about 5-6 months old. We would love to keep them if possible. Is it something they can live with, or is it better to just try and give them back to the place where we got them? Also, we were wanting to introduce new pullets in the spring to these two, do you imagine the two pullets will get it? Basically, we want to keep these two girls if possible and are willing to try to treat them if it's simple enough, but don't want to kick ourselves later for having a mess on our hands. Thanks!

Last edited:
Did you quarantine those birds before adding them to your flock? Respiratory illnesses can be highly contagious.

Your course of action and treatment depends on what is causing the illness.

If it's mycoplasma, the birds, if they survive, will be carriers for life and can infect other birds even without showing symptoms. It is recommended that you keep a CLOSED flock if you find mycoplasma in your flock (ie: don't sell birds to people). There is no cure, only disease management.

If it's Infectious Bronchitis, that runs its course through the flock and goes away after about a year.

The ONLY way to know what your birds have is a vet diagnosis via blood work. Is it possible to get your birds tested at your local vet's office? Even if they aren't avian vets or "don't see chickens," they should be able to run a blood test for you.

Let us know!!

MrsB

Last edited:
Ok I'll call and see if we can get a test! We don't have a flock, just these two little girls.. Just for eggs. No plans to breed.. We live in a city. So you think it might be ok to just treat the symptoms? Should I do any antibiotics to be on the safe side?

You did say they were your only birds. I missed that in your post. Sorry!

Not every antibiotic treats every infection... that's why it's important to know what kind of illness you're dealing with.

For mycoplasma, TerraVet water-soluble powder treats it. :)

Let us know if you can get a test done!!

MrsB

I would send these two back and start over with healthy birds.

A good option! At the very least, I'd alert the person you got them from that the birds developed these symptoms.... and if you do start over, I'd consider going somewhere else to get them.

Still, though, I'd consider getting a test. Mycoplasma can hang around in the soil and infect new birds. It's a really nasty thing. They say if you have mycoplasma and choose to cull your flock and start over, that you should douse every thing (*EVERY THING*) in bleach, including the ground they lived on. But even if you do all that, your chickens could still get it from wild birds, soooooooo......

Do what you feel is best for your flock and keep us posted! :)

MrsB

Thanks for the input. Just a thought... We love down in Florida and just finished up with tropical storm hermine a couple of weeks ago. Lots of flooding, wind, etc. any chance these hens got some infection from that?

Back
Top Bottom