Respiratory infection

You can give the injectable Tylan 50 orally, but you need a syringe to withdraw it from the vial, then remove the needle to inject. I am surprised that you found injectable Tylan, since it has been hard to find for a couple of years. I would order the oral tylosin powder just to have in the future.

You can give the injectable Tylan 50 orally, but you need a syringe to withdraw it from the vial, then remove the needle to inject. I am surprised that you found injectable Tylan, since it has been hard to find for a couple of years. I would order the oral tylosin powder just to have in the future.
So they ended up not having the tylan 50 bit did have the tylan 200. What would the dose be for that? I'll weigh them when I get home but they are around 7 lbs

Attachments

• 16147827261797761692768293514457.jpg
    16147827261797761692768293514457.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 5
Ok, gave them their first dose. I had put some vetrx on the 2 last night and the better one of the two is able to open her eye today. The others is still closed but the swelling has gone down. Another bird is sick. I have those 3 now quarantined in my garage. I know the others may possibly get sick also but hoping not. From my research here I'm giving 0.06ml per pound (they're 6-7 lbs) 2x a day. Does that sound correct?

Yes the dosage is good, but I would give it 3 times a day. Tylan 200 is 4 times the strength of Tylan 50. Hopefully, the antibiotic will help. If you should lose one, getting a necropsy through the state vet is the best way to get a diagnosis, since there are other diseases that may look similar. Mycoplasma or MG should respond to the Tylan (tylosin.) The flock will still be carriers until they are all gone, so this is a good time to close your flock. MG can also pass through hatching eggs. Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Yes the dosage is good, but I would give it 3 times a day. Tylan 200 is 4 times the strength of Tylan 50. Hopefully, the antibiotic will help. If you should lose one, getting a necropsy through the state vet is the best way to get a diagnosis, since there are other diseases that may look similar. Mycoplasma or MG should respond to the Tylan (tylosin.) The flock will still be carriers until they are all gone, so this is a good time to close your flock. MG can also pass through hatching eggs. Here is a good article about MG:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Ok, I'll do 3 doses daily. Hopefully we dont lose one but I'm aware that it may happen. We already are done getting anymore chickens. We are way over our city limits and dont want to push it. I did have 7 week olds in with the ones who are sick. If they get it is it ok to treat them the same way?

Ok, I'll do 3 doses daily. Hopefully we dont lose one but I'm aware that it may happen. We already are done getting anymore chickens. We are way over our city limits and dont want to push it. I did have 7 week olds in with the ones who are sick. If they get it is it ok to treat them the same way?
Yes, but only treat those that are showing symptoms.

Yes, but only treat those that are showing symptoms.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. I'm looking them over morning and will again this evening. Watching for sneezing, swelling, or congestion/snot. This one is already showing improvements. She kept jumping out of the enclosure(open top since I pieced it together) I have in my garage so I'm letting her roam around the backyard while the others stay penned up in the run. Her eye was swollen shut yesterday and she didnt even want to stand.

Attachments

• 20210303_131335.jpg
    20210303_131335.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 5
So, I'm now at 6 birds showing symptoms. The new ones just have the rattling noise so I'm hoping I caught it early to help reduce swelling and congestion. I know we can. Ot introduce any new birds to our flock until these ones die but what kind of preventative treatment should I do once we (hopefully) get these girls cleared up. I've read a monthly treatment is advisable but how?like, treat them all for a week with how I'm treating them now or?? Good news is the 2 that I found last night when this all started are doing great right now. The swelling has gone down a ton and they ate today and roamed around the yard. The bad news is my quarantine space is holding 6 sick birds because I'm trying to keep them away from the 8 birds that arent showing symptoms.

And I just found out where this came from. I informed the seller that I got my chicks from that my girls are now sick after introducing the chicks. She told me that the lady she buys eggs from has birds that are carriers. I so mad I could cry.

So, I'm now at 6 birds showing symptoms. The new ones just have the rattling noise so I'm hoping I caught it early to help reduce swelling and congestion. I know we can. Ot introduce any new birds to our flock until these ones die but what kind of preventative treatment should I do once we (hopefully) get these girls cleared up. I've read a monthly treatment is advisable but how?like, treat them all for a week with how I'm treating them now or?? Good news is the 2 that I found last night when this all started are doing great right now. The swelling has gone down a ton and they ate today and roamed around the yard. The bad news is my quarantine space is holding 6 sick birds because I'm trying to keep them away from the 8 birds that arent showing symptoms.

And I just found out where this came from. I informed the seller that I got my chicks from that my girls are now sick after introducing the chicks. She told me that the lady she buys eggs from has birds that are carriers. I so mad I could cry.
:hugs I'm sorry to hear that news, oh my. So sorry.

If it's MG (Mycoplasma) that you are dealing with you can give Denagard (Tiamulin) for 3 days in a row each month to help with symptoms. That's what some do.
Others just manage symptoms as they arise, treating individual birds.

Back
Top Bottom