Respiratory infection

:hugs I'm sorry to hear that news, oh my. So sorry.

If it's MG (Mycoplasma) that you are dealing with you can give Denagard (Tiamulin) for 3 days in a row each month to help with symptoms. That's what some do.
Others just manage symptoms as they arise, treating individual birds.
Right now I'm giving tylan 200. Is that still ok to help clear the flare up they're having now? If I give denagard is there an egg withdrawal time? Is there an egg withdrawal time with tylan? I'm giving it orally.

Right now I'm giving tylan 200. Is that still ok to help clear the flare up they're having now? If I give denagard is there an egg withdrawal time? Is there an egg withdrawal time with tylan? I'm giving it orally.
I would give the full 5 days of the Tylan. There is a 1 day withdrawal period for Tylan.

Denagard (Tiamulin) is specifically used to treat MG. You may want to look it up, but I believe in the US Tiamulin has a 72hr withdrawal period, in the EU there's no withdrawal period.

I would give the full 5 days of the Tylan. There is a 1 day withdrawal period for Tylan.

Denagard (Tiamulin) is specifically used to treat MG. You may want to look it up, but I believe in the US Tiamulin has a 72hr withdrawal period, in the EU there's no withdrawal period.
Ok, thank you. I'll do some research. 2 of my girls are already showing great improvement since starting treatment last night. Fingers crossed they all improve. I will probably do the denagard monthly to keep them from having flair ups. This is so horrible.

Ok, thank you. I'll do some research. 2 of my girls are already showing great improvement since starting treatment last night. Fingers crossed they all improve. I will probably do the denagard monthly to keep them from having flair ups. This is so horrible.
I just can't imagine what you are going through right now, especially finding out that the lady knew the eggs were from carrier birds.
Did she seem to blow it off or just not understand?

I just can't imagine what you are going through right now, especially finding out that the lady knew the eggs were from carrier birds.
Did she seem to blow it off or just not understand?
She blew me off. Just kept telling me that she was fine because she no longer uses those eggs and uses her eggs instead. I told her she needs to tell the other people she sold chicks to about it and she ignored me so I made a post on nextdoor where she advertises about it. Hopefully people see it before putting the chicks with their flock. Explains why my chicks are not showing any symptoms while the big girls are.

Ok, so all 10nare sick now. Some more severe than others. I have 4 that have swollen eyes shut. The rest have some swelling but all have the raspy, wheezing breathing noise. All are on tylon 200 3x a day now. The first 4 just had their 4th dose. They not better but not worse. The rest just had their first dose this morning. Do I just throw the eggs out or can I cook them up and feed them back to the girls? Not sure how that works for them. The chicks are showing no symptoms. Put on a heat lamp for the ones who feel they need it. Had to help one girl whose eye was glued shut from all of the discharge. When should I start seeing signs of improvement?

Good news, 6 out of the 10 are feeling and looking better. Their eyes are still a little swollen but open, they're scratching around the run eating some scratch I through out, and are drinking. I was a little worried the tylan wasnt working because they all were hiding under the coop all day but we were pretty hot today AND this is only day 2 for 4 chickens and day 1 for the rest. I know I need to give it time to work but I'm just impatient and worried. I'm glad to see them improving though. One if my girls has both eyes swollen shut, poor girl. I'll probably put her on the roost tonight if she cant get there. I'm going to give them their 3rd dose for the day in a few hours and will apply some cream on her eyes, along with my others who still has swollen eyes shut. Hoping tomorrow evening all girls will be showing improvement. Chicks still showing no signs of infection, I'm guessing they may not because they were infected from their parents before hatching. We will see. Still pretty angry at the seller. I did have someone reach out to me who runs a big hatchery and offered to replace all 14 girls with chicks if we end up having to cull. For now I'm treating as if they will get better and we will just close growing our flock.

I'm glad that you are seeing some improvement.

If eyes are swollen shut, then it would be good to see if you can worm them open, so the girls can see well enough to eat/drink. If not, then you will need to give them fluids and nutrition by hand.
A warm compress often will work to help get the eye open. Flush with saline, then swab or press out any pus. Swelling usually means pus and this will not dry up on it's own.

As for feeding the eggs back, generally you don't due to drug residue.

I'm glad that you are seeing some improvement.

If eyes are swollen shut, then it would be good to see if you can worm them open, so the girls can see well enough to eat/drink. If not, then you will need to give them fluids and nutrition by hand.
A warm compress often will work to help get the eye open. Flush with saline, then swab or press out any pus. Swelling usually means pus and this will not dry up on it's own.

As for feeding the eggs back, generally you don't due to drug residue.
I put some neosporin on the eyes (that's all I had) and it helped her open them. I'm thinking they weren't swollen shut but glued shut from the discharge. I saw her eat and drink some before bed last night. I tried getting any puss out and it just looks like swelling. I try and take another look today. Its swelling under the eye.

Back
Top Bottom