Respiratory Problem - Have Amoxicillin please help

dorio22

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 21, 2014
My Blue Orpington is wheezing with a whistle when she breathes. She is acting find and eating and drinking and comb is red and eyes are fine. I have some 500mg Amoxicillin capsules. Can I give her that? How would I break it down to the right dose they are tablets with powder in them. How much and how would I give it to her? Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
I would hold off on antibiotics to observe her longer, in case she just has something caught in her throat. Some chickens can get stridor which is a high pitched wheezing sound from a partial obstruction of the airway that may clear in a few hours. Does she have any signs of a respiratory infection, such as watery eyes, nasal drainage, or sneezing? Here is a link that can help with dosage, but I would not start anything unless she has more symptoms: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/847924/amoxicillin-and-chickens

It has been two days. I thought the same thing about something being obstructed. There is no drainage, watery eyes or sneezing.

She actually is sneezing here and there but no draining and eyes look good.

Sneezing occasionally may be normal from feed or dust getting into the nostrils. If you choose to use antibiotics I would give 1/4 of a tablet twice a day for 7 days. That would equal 125 mg twice a day. You might want to look inside her throat for anything that shouldn't be there such as yellow or gray patches. Here is a good link to read that has the common respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

She is still doing the same thing. No other chickens are sick and she is wheezing, sneezing and coughing. She still has no drainage is eating and drinking. I really think she has something in her throat. I can't see anything though. I tried a little olive oil with bread and she gobbled it up but no change. We put a qtip down her throat and no red. I have these things on hand. Tylan 50, VetRx and Wazine. Could someone please guide me in what i can do. I really want to help her but have no idea how to get it out if she does have something stuck or if it could just be respiratory. Please help!

Have her checked for an obstruction. My GLW Lynda Carter was doing something similar and we just had to take her to the vet tonight. Turned out she had an upper respiratory fungal infection. The vet pulled a chunk of yeast overgrowth out of her trachea. She will be fine now, with some antifungals, but her condition worsened very rapidly as the fungus bit grew and she was literally gasping for air by the time we got her to the vet tonight. Not saying that your girl has the same problem, but *if* she does the things you have onhand won't help, and time may be of the essence for getting it taken care of! Best of luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom