I think upper respiratory

Please help..noticed yesterday one eye was closed. Eyeball itself is bright, she did lay an egg. I gave her 3cc poultry cell.. Today I heard rattling in chest or head… giving her antibiotic amoxicillin 1/2 of 500mg cap with poultry cell.. any thoughts?

Trying to upload video of sound she’s making

Attachments

• IMG_6569.jpeg
    IMG_6569.jpeg
    827.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Is her crop emptying?

Hard to tell, does she have bubbly or watery eyes?

Could be your dealing with Mycoplasma or another respiratory illness. I'd try treating the symptoms with Tylan/Tylosin, Tetracyclines or Tiamulin.

Amoxicillin doesn't treat most respiratory illnesses, especially MG due to it having no cell wall, but if that's what you have on hand, it's worth a shot until you get get something else.

Amoxicillin dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 7-10 days in a row.

$79 and not sure of product… I did get a bottle of tetracycline. Bottle says .5cc/10lbs… she’s 4.5lbs… so I can give her .25… in muscle or orally? Instruction day single dose.. is that per day..for how many days?

Attachments

• IMG_6573.jpeg
    IMG_6573.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
$79 and not sure of product… I did get a bottle of tetracycline. Bottle says .5cc/10lbs… she’s 4.5lbs… so I can give her .25… in muscle or orally? Instruction day single dose.. is that per day..for how many days?
At store now is it an injectable? Is it the one for specifically for chicken or beef… Tylan200? TSS said Corid?

Oxytetracycline like you have would be given into the breast muscle once every 3 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/miracle-la-200-dosage-and-vetrx-for-crd-treatment.631458/

If you have Tylan200, it can be given orally. Dosing for Tylan200 is 0.056ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days in a row.

Not gurgling at all. Been giving her (pea size) selenium/E once a day… poultry cell electrolytes, colloidal silver.. one drop, orally.. not really eating.. made a mush of food trying to get some into her…she rest lots with eyes closed..I’ve attached pics; no bubbles or mucus in eyes or nostrils.,, someone mentioned colloidal silver for eyes too! .. any suggestions? I brought her in house
Tomorrow another dose of tetracycline..

how long on tetracycline?? And what can I do for her eyes?
Thanks for your help!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6598.jpeg
    IMG_6598.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I believe you can repeat that Oxy once, so give for a total of 2 times.

I don't know much about Colloidal Silver, I have not used it. I do know quite a few people do use it for various things and say it works well. This link may be helpful. I'd look at the posts made by Coach723 and Hen Pen Jem in the thread, both are knowledgeable.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/colloidal-silver-dosage.1277070/

For her eyes, flush with saline, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. If you can't find Terramycin, then you can use Original Neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom