Ressesive White Orpingtons

KKluckers

Time Out
12 Years
Sep 4, 2007
These are out of some black on black breeding's. So, anyone have a nice white roo that is correct I can buy LOL. Im also up for trading bloodlines? I need to get the white legs breed back in.
3866_a3chicken_files_180.jpg

3866_a2chicken_files_181.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What is causing the blue shanks and feet is a sex linked gene called dermal melanin. It is recessive to a gene called dermal melanin inhibitor. The female only carries one of the genes and a male can carry two of the genes. If a male bird has blue shanks and feet, he carries two genes for dermal melanin and a female with blue shanks will have one gene for dermal melanin. It would be best to use a white shank male to breed out the dermal melanin gene.

white shank male X blue shank female = all white leg offspring but the male offspring will carry one recessive dermal melanin gene - do not use them for breeding they will produce blue leg females

Back crossing the daughters to the father will produce all white leg offspring and none will carry the gene that causes blue shanks.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Tim, I think I have gotten a white Orpington male to work with down the road
smile.png

You are welcome. At the rate I am answering questions, I will be something else soon. What is next? Sleeping ball of fluff.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom