White x Black/Splash leghorns

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
I have 2 black leghorn hens and a splash leghorn hen, I recently lost my black leghorn rooster before being able to breed from him. The only leghorn rooster near me is a white. If I get him, a genetics calculator I was looking at says if I breed the next generation roosters to my current hens I will end up with black/blue/splash again. Is this correct? Or can anyone explain the genetics?

White leghorns are dominate white. One copy will show but usually doesn't completely cover what's underneath so usually you'll get a white bird with flecks of color here and there.
Problem is the white rooster won't tell us exactly what other genes he's carrying. Dominate white doesn't cover gold tones so we know those aren't there but he could hide things like black, silver duckwing, barring, blue, splash.
If he was black underneath breed to the black hens the offspring would be white with black flecks and with the splash the offspring would be white with blue specks.
If you breed one of the roosters with black flecks to the black hens you'd get about half that are also white with black flecks and about half that are black.
With the splash hen about half that are white with blue flecks and about half blue.
See where this is going? About half would be white showing bits of color and about half would be the color.
A rooster from the splash hen would be blue underneath so with black hens you'd get white with black, white with blue, black and blue.
With the splash hen.... white with blue, white with splash, blue and splash.
With any of the white chicks they could show different amounts of color coming through or even no color showing.
Depending what the original white rooster is underneath it could change everything. If he's blue or splash basically the same results of different combinations of blue, black or splash.
If he has barring you'd get the same kind of results but there would be some barring or a chance of barring showing up.
If he has duckwing then eventually some of your solid birds would start showing some silver leakage or could. Males especially.

Back
Top Bottom