ressetling homers

Yes, I have my birds whistle trained. I do not have this new Loft planned or anything but I wanted to make sure that i could do this without losing my racers. Thanks
You in my opinion do not have much to worry about. They will stay in the immediate area. It may take a few days for them to adjust.
Hunger as sourland pointed out is a great motivator.
Rattling feed in a container on or near the loft to entice them to trap should do the trick.

That and a few days to get them accustom to their new digs.

Easiest way is to build your NEW loft besides Old loft. Join them together and have them use both for short time. Have them released from New loft trap. Eventually chase all your birds into NEW section. When they enter into New Loft regularly, disassemble old portion. I don't think it will take very long at all.:thumbsup

The standard operating procedure of resettling homers is the normal settling process (time in the aviary, learn to use the door, etc) + raising 3-4 clutches of squabs. Even then, I think you run the risk of losing these kinds of birds, as with strong homing instincts, you always run the risk of them returning to their original home. One way to curb this after the resettling process is when you first release them, soap their wings, or pin them, and let them out close to dusk.

Otherwise, your best bet in having a flock of homers trained to your loft is to let these birds you have raise some youngsters and train them, keeping the adults as prisoners.

I also plan on getting some racing pigeons, but they will most likely be settled adults as their aren’t to many squeakers available at the moment. If I get a few pairs they’ll have to just be breeders then the young of the birds will be trained.

First I have to sell off most of my crossbreds then renovate the loft a bit.

Back
Top Bottom