Rest In Peace, Beans!!!! (Pics of hubby's duck)

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
Well, just a few hours ago we put all three of our three months old ducks ouside in their water tank to swim. Two hours later my hubby went outside to check them, and our Ancona, Beans, was floating in the water half-submerged. Hubby picked him up out of the water, and we discovered he wasn't dead all the way, but within a few minutes died. We don't know why, the other two ducks are fine, but we noticed that Beans' foot was bleeding for some reason, and I suspect either the baby catfish that's in the tank with the ducks or my cousin's one yr old, who accidentally fell on Beans the other night. Maybe his foot was injured and he couldn't keep swimming??? Whatever the case, Beans was my husband's duck, and he's very sad about it. Rest In Peace, Beans!!!!

Pics of Beans: (He's the black and yellow/white duckie)

Baby Beanie
DSCN1245.jpg

Baby Beans and Baby Eggnog
DSCN1246.jpg

Big Beans (Far left)
DSCN1384.jpg

Big Beans again (far left)
DSCN1386.jpg

Last edited:
thanks, my hubby is so sad about it.....he just feels really bad cause Beans was only 3 months old, and we got the ducks as pets, not really for food....we were hoping for at least one female and one male, that way we could breed food ducks. These three were just our pets.
sad.png

I don't think catfish would have anything to do with it unless they are big enough to drown a duck. That is wierd how he died. They don't stay cute for long.
idunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess what I don't understand is how he died. I've left all three ducks in a full bathtub in which they couldn't touch for HOURS on end, all I can think is that somehow his foot got injured or something else was hurt and he couldn't keep swimming so drowned. But he didn't act hurt, either!!!! I know he wasn't sick, there was nothing wrong with him biologically. I don't know, it's so sad!

Poor Beans! I'm so sorry for you and DH's loss. :aww

That is a tough one to figure out. Maybe he got an internal injury when he was fallen on last night? How big is the catfish? I do know they will go after pretty big critters.

Was Beans a magpie duck? He looks EXACTLY like the magpie baby I just got and the grown-up pic looks like magpie adults.

Yeah, we thought he was a magpie, but the hatchery that sold him to the feed store doesn't have them, just anconas. The catfish was only like 6 inches long!!!

Back
Top Bottom