resue hens ???

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
I picked up 10 unwanted hens locally, mostly RIR but I can't figure out what these two are. Any ideas?

#1 is small, red with black like a New Hampshire red but the comb is all wrong.

#2 is pretty tall but with a light build, she has a small single comb

Any help would be great. Thanks

The first one is probably just a mixed breed. I'd say that she has some Wyandotte in her, as well as some Rhode Island Red or Buff Orpington. The second bird is most likely a Buff Plymouth Rock/Buff Plymouth Rock mix (maybe with Rhode Island Red), as it has yellow legs, a light body shape, and a single comb. She could have some Buff Orpington in her as well.

The first one is probably just a mixed breed. I'd say that she has some Wyandotte in her, as well as some Rhode Island Red or Buff Orpington. The second bird is most likely a Buff Plymouth Rock/Buff Plymouth Rock mix (maybe with Rhode Island Red), as it has yellow legs, a light body shape, and a single comb. She could have some Buff Orpington in her as well.

I agree. Nice looking hens; they should provide you with some brown eggs.

Well mixed breeds are fine with me. My mother thought #2 might be a buff orphington but she hasn't had birds in 30 yrs. so she wasn't sure. #2 might fill out to some of the hens I got are very thin still.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom