1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

resue hens ???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by insanity, Sep 23, 2013.

1. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    I picked up 10 unwanted hens locally, mostly RIR but I can't figure out what these two are. Any ideas?

#1 is small, red with black like a New Hampshire red but the comb is all wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 is pretty tall but with a light build, she has a small single comb
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help would be great. Thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first one is probably just a mixed breed. I'd say that she has some Wyandotte in her, as well as some Rhode Island Red or Buff Orpington. The second bird is most likely a Buff Plymouth Rock/Buff Plymouth Rock mix (maybe with Rhode Island Red), as it has yellow legs, a light body shape, and a single comb. She could have some Buff Orpington in her as well.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. Nice looking hens; they should provide you with some brown eggs.

4. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Well mixed breeds are fine with me. My mother thought #2 might be a buff orphington but she hasn't had birds in 30 yrs. so she wasn't sure. #2 might fill out to some of the hens I got are very thin still.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by