results of the baited traps from last night - night of Thurs. may 12

I have some of the marshmallow cream that I am going to spread on those flat cotton pads (like a cotton ball that has been flattened) and instead of putting it inside the live trap, I am going to put it on the ground a set the trap over top of the pad. The pad is about the size of a half dollar/sliver dollar and almost paper thin. I figure it I put the bait section of the trap over top of the pad, then the raccoon can't just reach in to get the bait, and if the coon goes inside, the trap is setting on top of pad. It will have to pull at the pad, which will jar the cage/trap.

I also have some netting (like onions or fruit come in) and I am going to tie that around the sticky buns and tie the netted bait to the trap.

Thanks for the warning about human scent and using gloves.

The leg traps came today, but no instructions with them at all. They came from FlemmingOutdoor and not at thing with them. Just four of them, loose in a box. They are the Duke Dog Proof Raccoon Trap http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/duke-dog-proof-racoon-trap.html How or what do I anchor them down with? I know I use the attached chain, but what do I hook it or anchor it to? How deep?

I did also get some Coon Candy from FlemmingOutdoor and am going to use it too.

Drive a 2ft piece of rebar in the ground or attach it to a sturdy stake or tree. A coon is unbelievable strong and will pull out a poorly set stake and be off with the cuff still attached. Be prepared to kill it, you cant release it once caught in the coon cuffs. Also, be advised, using those traps out of trapping season might land you in trouble. The live traps are no biggy, but trapping with legholds are regulated unless you posses a nuisance trappers permit depending on your state.

The coon if caught in a cuff trap will destroy everything within the chain length and its body length.

For the stolen bait, dig a small hole under the trap, set the bait in, position the trap over the bait and anchor it down.

Last edited:
Quote:
I am way past any live release. They have killed way too many of my chickens. I know they are only doing what comes natural to them and they have babies to feed and all the other stuff that my cousin has told me (she totally disapproves of my killing them), but they are not the 'cute' little things a lot of people think they are.

Didn't know about the coon cuffs and a trapping season. Even if I am not trapping for fur nor meat, but to protect from predator?

Thats where you have to find out about your states regs regarding trapping. The live traps are no issue, however killing them could be...again, all related to your state. I say this only as a caution, I dont know where you are but a neighbor etc might be very happy to rat you out. Takes a few seconds to goggle it.

Personally, if its after my animals its pretty much dead and in most states no issue when protecting animals etc. but when using leghold traps there are issues that conflict .

You will know if you have one in the cuff right after its caught....they make an aweful ruckus. I have 20 or so of them and use them in areas where I have to keep cats out of legholds. They also put up one healthy fight so hopefully you intend on shooting it. Clubbing can be diffcult. I use a catch pole and a .22 pistol or an axe handle, depends on where im at.

Last edited:
Quote:
if using a live trap just dig a hole put your bait in the hole set the live trap trigger over top of the hole either put a cinder block on top of the trap or drive a piece of rebar through the trap so the animal cannot flip the trap to get at the bait make sure the bait is directly under the trigger most educated coon still get hungry. I prefer foot traps laws are different here a trap is a trap if you are trapping outside of fur season it has to be either a nuisance species or damage control check with you DNR or game and fish people most times stock damage can be controlled by the landowner keep trapping until you get rid of the group do not just trap one and quit it will take them longer to get reestablished this way good luck

we bought our own live trap and trapped a couple raccoons that got into our chicken yard and killed 3 of our chickens. It did take a couple nights and bait steeling before we finally figured it out. but then we took the raccoons and turned them loss a few towns away...

Quote:
You can easily release a coon in these traps with the aid of a catch pole or similar device. I release 30-40 a year from these traps. Trapping is regulated regardless of what trap youre using.

I will not be releasing any alive. Went that route last year and even though they were taken 20+ miles away (paid a trapper) it did not solve the problem.

At $200 to set two traps, and $60 a caught animal for 2 weeks (that was the cheapest, most places wanted $400-$500 for two weeks): we went ahead and bought our own live traps and used the same bait as everyone else did (canned cat food). I am not begrudging the trapper people, but we just could not afford to continue to have the trappers.

I have a rifle to shoot when raccoon, possum, or ??? predator gets caught in the live trap. Just stick it right up to hole in the wire of the cage and shoot. (.22) For the leg trap/cuff I have a 12 gauge so don't need to get close and it does a good job too. I can handle both of those guns and have no problem with shooting to kill.

We do have neighbors on both sides of us. But we have trees that wrap around and hide the back of our property. So no one would see what is going on. The one neighbor knows about the coon problem and that we are shooting. The shots do echo, but we have heard other gun shots out this way and it was not us, so if anyone asks, I can just tell them we have heard gun shots and it wasn't us that did it.

Heck, about a month ago, late at night we heard a whole bunch of shots, sounded like at least half a dozen or more. The one neighbor called (who knows we shoot the predators) and asked if something was wrong, but we told her it was on down the road and we had heard it too. While talking to her on the phone, we heard another round of shots go off. There was a party going on down the road from us and guess they were 'celebrating' by shooting? For some reason, some people do that in this area. You should hear it on New Year's Eve.

I wouldnt release them either if I were you. Infact, here in Ohio, it is illegal to release certain animals (coons included) anywhere but the property that they were caught on because of diseases. I was just stating some facts that the other poster had mixed up. I didnt want someone reading that and thinking that once an animal is caught in a foothod, it is doomed. We get enough flack as trappers as it is, we dont need any help.

Back
Top Bottom