Retirement for an older roo

girtengirl

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
Kentucky
Hello all have an issue I need help with. About a year ago I rescued a very large mixed breed older Rooster with deformed feet from the local animal shelter. He is such a great rooster; very good to his ladies, alert and watch full, easy going with most of my bantam roosters, not aggressive with me or anyone else, taught my cockerels how to be good roosters. My flock is large, mixed bantam and standard. I have one coup and very large run designated for all hens, my rescued rooster and a few of my more docile bantam roosters. I have another coup and very large run as a bachelor's pad with a mixture of 5 standard and 6 bantam pure breeds that I wanted to use for breeding program. I also have 4 smaller nursery pens where my new mommies and baby chicks go once all are hatched. I have a juvenile run that holds my juveniles until large enough to integrate into my large hen flock. Lastly I have a breeding pen for the lovers. OK here is part of my dilemma, my rescued rooster was the cock of the walk until recently when he got sick and had to be separated. I almost lost him due to respiratory or cold but I worked diligently to bring him back. Mind you he is no where near the rooster he used to be, still very much on the mend. Today was the first time he has crowed in weeks. Well I let him out of the hospital cage because he needed to stretch and free range a bit. However he is being harassed by some of my smaller roosters because they know he is not well. I can't put him in the Bachelor Pad because they will kill him and I promised him a retirement home. I was going to have a retirement home built for him and put a few of my older gals in with him but one problem, because he has feet deformation he is rough on my hens feathers. Some of his favorite gals look bald and abused because his feet tare them up. Any suggestions on a happy separation? No cooking instructions my babies are pets and hobbies. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

First, lets see the nature of his feet. Pics please.

I have a couple game roosters I coddle. One has feet issues while another has bill issues. Nutritional needs can be specialized. With bad feet you will have roosting concerns and making certain he is not overweight.

Last edited:
When my daughter is available I will have her take the pictures my camera is horrible. To describe on one foot he has one toe that is actually two tows grown together it has two nails. His nails are very short and do not grow. He is not overweight he is just very large. When I rescued him I was told he was fighting the gentleman's turkey. Which may be true but he is a gentle giant here, not fighting anyone unless the roosters try him other than that very easy and laid back.

First of all I commend you for taking such a good care of your flock, it seems to me that you do care a lot for your chickens. It is a very special situation you have, I believe at this point your best option will be to place him in a pen by himself, if you have the space to do it give him plenty of room. If he can see the rest of the flock or at least some of them, he would not be so lonely. Since he is old, his hormones might not be that high, hopefully he won't be very stressed about wanting to mate the girls. I wish you the best

I never said butcher the Rooster...I said put him in with cockerels that are to be sold or butchered .....
No worries I interpreted what you said wrong. However I may have found a solution thanks to you. I have taken my Barred Rock 1 yr old that is a little calmer than all of my other roosters that my old Roo taught and put both of them with my large flock. My BR is ok with him hanging out with a few ladies and isn't trying to fight him. When they free range they have the run of the farm and woods, so wish me luck. Yesterday went fine hopefully it will stay that way.

Back
Top Bottom