Reusing a Chicken Name?

I reuse chicken names all the time. Tweety is my most common reused name, and my current Tweety is Tweety IV. :)

As far as reusing a name of a chicken that died, I often don't do that for whatever reason. But right now, I do have my first: Marvalo III. The two Marvalos before her did have something bad with them (Marvalo I had Crossbeak and Marvalo II got water belly), but my Marvalo III just looked so much like Marvalo I, I just had to name her that!

But I also don't want to invite bad luck or upset the chicken gods or whatever.
I don't think that reusing a name of a chicken who died is going to bring on bad luck. And as far as the chicken gods, there is none. There's only One, True, God, and He won't be upset if you reused a dead chicken's name. :)

Best of luck with Thistle! Beautiful name!

Ridiculous question:

Is it ok to reuse a chicken's name?

I normally wouldn't ask, but the name I want to reuse was for a chick that died rather badly.

I'm adopting a special needs Polish frizzle. My chickens all have flower names. I want to name this new one Thistle. It just fits. But I also don't want to invite bad luck or upset the chicken gods or whatever.
🤣

Just look at the thing. Doesn't it look like a Thistle???
View attachment 3127604
Yup, and don't bring superstition into the mix. Do it, girl. There are some names I have selected for my flock and I will A L W A Y S have a hen with those names. Also my dogs. The name "Fruitquake" . . . I will always have Fruitquake. Yep. Been doing it for years; nothing bad happens.

Oh, the chicken names I will always have include (for now): Clarice and Samson (for a roo).

Ya'll are going to laugh. We ended up naming her Twiggy anyway. It just seemed to fit her.

20220629_192406.jpg

When I had my daughter, I named her Holly which is a poke-y plant. She ended up being a poke-y (bristle-y) teenager. I had though if I had another daughter, I wanted to name her Thistle because I liked that name, later I realized it was another poke-y name. (Oh and I had a cat who was named Pokey.) Then I saw some bible show on tv...OKAY it was not a bible show it was ancient aliens. They said when Adam and Eve lived in Eden, there was no Thistles and thorns. I was surprised that a thistle was a bad thing.

As far as re-using names, I always use the name Buffy for a Buff orpington. But I rarely have those.

I have a chick named Twiggy too. She was born with fuzz stuck to the shell, she was a mess. Then I had to raise her a week till she got baby feathers so the other chicks would not peck her. Come to find out she is a hen with no rump (tail) but all black.

Back
Top Bottom