Review of Dorkings as a table bird *update: pics and weight of our last Dorking rooster*

I'm too far away from you to get chicks but would love some hatching eggs if you do decide to sell those
jumpy.gif

I'm too far away from you to get chicks but would love some hatching eggs if you do decide to sell those
jumpy.gif

I'm not even sure how I would ship something like that -- whats the process? Do they need to be kept warm?
I'm sure eggs would be easier to send than chicks... maybe something Id be more interested in.

I'm not even sure how I would ship something like that -- whats the process? Do they need to be kept warm?
I'm sure eggs would be easier to send than chicks... maybe something Id be more interested in.

I know the eggs I have received have mostly been either in an egg carton packed in either newspaper shavings or wrapped in bubble wrap or eggs wrapped in bubble wrap in a box of shavings then that box is in another box with shavings around it. Not sure how much it costs to ship but for most people for a dozen I have paid like 15$ for shipping plus the cost per egg.

And here was dinner last night - after resting the bird for a few days my husband surprised me and cooked it. He used an enameled cast iron dutch oven, cut up a bunch of veggies and added a few cups of water - cooked it in the oven for an hour and a half. He didn't brine it like we usually do, because it was a surprise and my husband didn't realize to brine first.

This was a very active rooster and you could taste that in the legs; really dark and a little chewy. I think we should have cooked him a little slower in a crock pot since he was over 7 months old and very muscular, and brining for a few hours definitely would have helped tenderize the meat. But great tasting as usual - soooo different from a super market bird and my husband did such a great job making it look so beautiful. Nothing says comfort food like coming home to a roasted bird with mashed potatoes and gravy. I'm a lucky gal!

And my favorite part will happen tonight: pulling the meat off the bones and boiling it all down for the best, BEST chicken broth this earth has to offer. Its kept like a jar of gold in the refrigerator, its execution carefully planned and thoroughly enjoyed.

And here was dinner last night - after resting the bird for a few days my husband surprised me and cooked it. He used an enameled cast iron dutch oven, cut up a bunch of veggies and added a few cups of water - cooked it in the oven for an hour and a half. He didn't brine it like we usually do, because it was a surprise and my husband didn't realize to brine first.

This was a very active rooster and you could taste that in the legs; really dark and a little chewy. I think we should have cooked him a little slower in a crock pot since he was over 7 months old and very muscular, and brining for a few hours definitely would have helped tenderize the meat. But great tasting as usual - soooo different from a super market bird and my husband did such a great job making it look so beautiful. Nothing says comfort food like coming home to a roasted bird with mashed potatoes and gravy. I'm a lucky gal!

Mmm looks delicious what a great surprise. I like the chicken stock as well I have a batch in the fridge that needs to go into the freezer today can't wait to use it.

when I have a lot of stock I cook it down slowly and get it to a high concentrate and put it in ice cube trays then just drop a cube and about a cup of water in as the broth in other foods such as rice takes up less room and tastes way better than commercial broth :) Hubby rocks :)

I let rest at least 24 hours.
Three or four days is better, in my opinion.
And a good day in a salt water brine also helps tenderize.

Back
Top Bottom