Revolutionary yogurt feeding tip!

Sparrow

Songster
11 Years
Apr 11, 2008
lol.png
You guys probably already thought of this, but in the off chance that you didn't, this is what I discovered today. I was trying to entice my sickish Black Japanese chick to eat some plain yogurt this morning to help his poop situation, and he refused to do anything besides peep. lol So, I put yogurt in a dish and sprinkled starter on it. Still no luck. They all looked at it like it was alien food.
hmm.png
Then a Sebright ran right through it, ornery little things, and it stuck between his toes. As soon as I saw that, a light came on, and I watched him.
big_smile.png
Sure enough, he didn't like the feeling of it on there, so he stopped and started pecking the yogurt off of his toes. Every time he pecked at it, he ATE it!! The other chicks started running through the yogurt and getting their feet sticky, and they all ate it too. Including my Black Japanese.
smile.png
The Sultan bantams got a little grody, with their super feathery feet, but they managed to clean it all off, too.

So, maybe the next time you have chicks refusing yogurt because of it's odd texture, you can try to use it to it's advantage! lol

Me, too, rooster-red. It only takes one to try it to start a feeding frenzy.

You all must remember when introducing anything new to your chicks - They do not have a hen to teach them everything they need to know. You have become the surrogate hen and you must teach them what to eat, where to roost, etc. Because we know it is food doesn't corrolate in any way to them knowing it is food. If you watch a mother hen she has little sounds she makes as well as the pecking and stratching and showing the chicks what to eat.

New, in the snack section of your supermarket, yogurt-covered raisins, yogurt-covered peanuts, and now, yogurt-covered chick feet! An idea whose time has come.

Can I have naming right to the yogurt-foot enterprise? lol

I don't know why, but the bantams just wouldn't eat the yogurt no matter how I showed them to do it. I pecked in it, imitated a mother hen's sounds, put little bits of starter in it...all to no avail. It worked when I showed them how to eat their starter when I made it into wet mash the first time I did it. I even posted a picture of a Sebright pecking next to me as he learned. They were appalled when I dipped their beaks in it, they hated the stickiness of it. Maybe because they are so small? I don't really know why, but tht's why I let them do the foot-thing instead. Whatever works.

It may take a few tries to introduce them to a new food item. I have had chicks like that.

I bought 3 lambs. They have never been on pasture. It took almost a week to get them to graze.

Back
Top Bottom