RFID tags used to report which birds are laying

I have been experimenting with RFID tags on my chickens so that I can detect those that are the star performers.
And those who just eat my food - hmmm….

I have put up a web site to explain how this works at -

http://www.sunspot.co.uk - click on item 12

or go directly to
http://www.sunspot.co.uk/Projects/RFID/Chickens_RFID.html

I have received several emails asking for more details and offering other ideas so I thought I would encourage my contacts to join this club and make the debate more open here.

There are several key issues:-

1) I know of no source of RFID leg bands other than the wholesale sources (100 off minimum)
So I have been experimenting with cheap RFID key fobs and nylon industrial ties - they seem to work very well. They look fairly large but are very light in weight and have not stopped the birds laying. They do not seem to be aware of them.

2) Others are experimenting with Arduino boards - that might work but Linux routers let you report all results on a web page so you can follow progress when on holiday! And one of mine says on a speaker - "the feed hopper is getting low!" or "the electric fence is off!". I use the Basic programming language but you can use Python, Perl etc too.

3) Perhaps the Raspberry Pi would be ideal for those new to all this. There is lots of support on the Web and lots of add on boards.

4) For interest -my nslu2 (known to electronics hobby types as "The Slug") works very well and puts an HD webcam picture of the nest boxes on a web page at the same time as running the RFID)

It is much easier and cheaper to install trap nests that confine the hen to the nest when she enters it to lay, but that allows her eggs to roll safely away.

If two hens enter the same nest but you only find one egg does each hen get credit for 1/2 of an egg?

Last edited:
Electronics is my winter hobby!

The system I would build today would use cheaper RFID reader cards (search eBay)

You perhaps need to find an electronics hobbyist in your area?

My real breakthrough is in proving the dirt cheap Chinese key fobs do not upset the chickens or break the eggs as they flap around their feet on the strong nylon ties - and that the big under nest box coil works very well.

Electronics bits from China via eBay reach me for an all in price less than the postage costs from London (how can they do it !?)
- as I say it is a great winter hobby - Dive in!

Back
Top Bottom