venting a coop using a pipe and keeping the coop warm

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brksmith, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Songster

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    @brksmith I totally get the "language" barrier!

As far as the older reading material available on the internet it's been like trying to work on a puzzle that someone threw the box away for. Most of the tidbits I've found have been minor references on blogs or a snippet in an out of date book. Sometimes a name will get referenced that will lead to another rabbit hole that usually ends in frustration at not being able to find more information.

I'm about to make a trip up to the "big city" just to get access to a larger library with a reference section. As great as the internet is there is little demand on creating e-books for such specific material.

You'll find lots of great info on here to help with selecting a breed and such. Plus plenty of nice folks to chat chickens with. Thank you for bringing up an interesting topic! I'll have to dig through my bookmarks and try to find some of the older reference material I was able to find.

2. WindingRoad

WindingRoad Songster

Nov 21, 2018
    Maine
    I have a prefab hen house. A coop with a run. Got it at TSC. Boooo Hisss. The roof has adequate ventilation.And I keep it clear of snow do the venting doesn't get blocked. I've done nothing to the coop except having a good layer of pine shaving and PDZ. The other night it was -20F. I have a heavy clear tarp around the run for wind protection read drafts. And I have the house banked up about 2 feet. Snow is a wonderful insulator. The coop is 3x3 with 4 birds in there. 3 nest boxes.

Do you have wild birds around your house. Crows maybe or bluejays. They have no shelter at night unless they might be perching in an evergreen and they seem to do well. Chickens are hardy you'll be surprised at what temps they can tolerate. I had my chickens out on the snow at -9F eating breakfast recently.

BTW I'm getting 4 eggs most days. And my 2 SLW are 22 weeks old and have only been laying for about 2-3 weeks. All this science is getting old. Just do what nature does. She's been doing it for along time. She might have it figured out. I don't do any thing to fancy.

No More Empty Nest likes this.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I find that often when chickens get a 'cold' it is because there wasn't enough ventilation, it has nothing to do with the cold.

Often weight loss is not just from the cold, but a lack of light. They only eat when they have enough light, if the days are too short, they do not eat enough. Not enough feed combined with cold equals weight loss.

Insulation does help, but you NEED to make sure it is rodent proof. My one insulated coop I wrapped the framing in hardware cloth while building. As a result zero rodents in the coop.

If you cannot make the insulation rodent free then skip it.

Read the stuff on Open air poultry housing by Woods.

Good info.

Wait.... I think you had other questions... what were they?

4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Sorry, haven't tried the pipe in a coop thing... sounds interesting.

But yeah... I hate up high ventilation. (Unless you have not summers)

I like the ventilation right under the poop shelves.

5. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Songster

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    Rose Quartz likes this.
  6. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    :th I've been looking for a copy of that woods style coop book for years oh my goodness THANKYOU! :ya

Texas Kiki and mixedUPturk like this.
  7. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Songster

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
  8. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    Texas Kiki likes this.
  9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Was there no dimensions of drawings for this shaft in Fiske's writings?
    It makes sense that it could direct air up and out. There have been discussions here about moist ammonia laden air is light and will float up and out higher vents.
    I imagine scale of facility has a lot to do with how to vent...as well as climate and site specific conditions.
    Welcome to BYC! I see you've been lurking, so welcome 'out of the closet' :lol:
    Where in MI are you?
    Check out the Michigan Chat thread, it's not real active, but....

You must not have searched too hard here on BYC, that link is in most of the Woods threads.
    @jthornton has cleaned it up and made a PDF that is easier to read than the online versions.

10. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz Enabler

Mar 18, 2018
    East Hants N.S. Canada
    Ive seen pieces of it here but not the whole thing before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: