Rhode Island limping, what to do??

Smallflockchickens

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
Arizona
Today I noticed that one of my chickens was limping. I am fairly new to this and have never had a chicken injured. What is the best thing to do for her. She still walks on it, but sits down more often (which is a good thing). She lays eggs still, struts around, loves treats, eats and drinks. Should I let it heal on her own, or will that effect her later on. Thanks!

Nope, her foots clean. Obviously it doesn't hurt that bad, because I've practically seen her run on it haha. I'm just no sure whether to put it into my own hands, or let her fix it herself
hu.gif

If you have a rooster, sometimes they just hurt the hens, making them hyperextend the hock joint. Sometimes, they just jump down and hurt themselves. Leg injuries take awhile to heal. You could separate her into a cage so she can't run around and give her extra protein and vitamins for a few days and see if it helps. I've never known worms to have anything to do with limping, just not in my experience. Leg injuries, however, are quite common, especially if you have a rooster over the hens.

Last edited:
Weakness in the leg, not due to an injury ( yours could just be an injury) , can be caused by an overload of worms bringing the birds strength level down.Why it starts with a limp I dont know, but I notice some of my birds start with a limp, then start laying around more, then if it goes for awhile.. paleness, weightloss, etc.... I often see indacators of a chickens health by how they walk. Once wormed and they gain strength back all is fine again.

With all the running, jumping and sudden turns they do, plus some fighting with other birds occasionally, they just sometimes injure a leg. Takes some time to heal up.

Chickenzoo, I've never had any birds with a big worm issue, so that cause just wasn't anything I've ever seen. I wasn't doubting you, just not something I've ever seen here.
smile.png
I do think it's more likely that an injury/strain is the cause, though, but it's good to cover all bases.

Last edited:
Oh no SP, I was just explaining to the OP why I had asked about worming, and some of my past experiences so they know what to look for and why. Here in the south it seems like you find out more things with bugs then you ever wanted to know... Lol. Her chicken probably has an injury, but I thought I'd just mention it as it can be hard to narrow stuff down.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom