Rhode island red 5 months

The word "hybrid" is used both ways, for crossing between breeds or between species.

Examples of crossing breeds within a species would be hybrid corn, hybrid layers like OP has, and so forth.
If it is used in conjunction with layer, that sits okay with me. However, a true hybrid is the crossing of two species.

If it is used in conjunction with layer, that sits okay with me. However, a true hybrid is the crossing of two species.
Do you have a source for that?

I just consulted an online dictionary, a printed dictionary, a second printed dictionary, a Latin dictionary (because hybrid is a Latin word), and wikipedia.

The online dictionary says, "the offspring of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species, or genera, especially as produced through human manipulation for specific genetic characteristics."
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hybrid

All the other sources said more or less the same thing.

So if you have a source that says a true hybrid is a crossing of two species, I would like to see it, because I sure haven't seen it yet.

Ah so was the farm deceptive in their description? I guess there's probably a guide that explains the difference between the two breeds somewhere, I'll have to do some more digging. Thanks for the clarification

Usually RIR x Rhode Island White. White rocks don't carry dominant white, so they can't be a parent breed to RSLs with white hackles and tails.
I’ve heard that hatcheries lines of white rock do carry dominant white, but I’ll edit my post, since white rocks are probably not the most common breed used in the cross.

Last edited:
I agree with red sex link pullets. Meanest birds I've ever owned.
My favorite chicken I have ever had was a red sex link. She was wonderful with people, kids, chicks - never had any issues with her.
1D462208-69A2-481A-BA6F-1320B1B95D63.jpeg

HOLY SHMOLY. Are you sure she was a she?! I've never had a pullet or hen do that kind of thing. I just can't imagine. I'm not a fan of my Black Australorps cause they've got the personality of door mats and tend to gang up on the smaller hens but they've never even given me side eye.
Positive. Was a shame I had to get rid of her because she laid the biggest eggs. Here she was the day I rehomed her. I gave her to a friend who put her with a rooster. She said shes fine now. Guess she got a little full of herself here.

Attachments

• 20210421_213112.jpg
    20210421_213112.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom