1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rhode Island Red egg color

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tpotter01, Mar 10, 2009.

1. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    all the ones i have owned lay anywhere from cream to med. brown.. no dark brown or chocoalate

2. Jolly Acres

Jolly Acres Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Paris Twp., OH.
    your hen does look more like a New Hampshire Red.
    I'd guess some type of mix going on there.
    I have a NHR and she lays a very light colored egg, looks almost pinkish to me.
    My RIR eggs are a light brown.

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:No you were not ripped off.

1. RIR reds eggs in general are not as dark as Marans or Welsummers, their eggs are about light to medium brown.

2. RIR reds sold by hatcheries are not pure RIR's but "Production Reds", they have some other breed blood mixed in (I believe White Leghorns) to enhance number of eggs they lay.

The "real" RIR's from a good breeder will probably lay darker brown eggs.

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Quote:Usually the "real" RIR's lay a lighter colored egg

5. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I had a few older rir awhile back. Depending on where on the farm they ate is how dark the eggs were.

When they roamed by the manure pile, they were darker than if they ravaged my garden and compost. While everything was covered in snow, the eggs went light to light/medium brown with spots.

I only had about 10 chickens, so I am pretty sure they didn't take turns laying different colors over the months. I know this doesn't help much in your quest to figure things out.

Maybe this time you just have to sit back and enjoy the fact that you can DYE lighter eggs but not the darker ones...Easter is coming!

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I also get very light colored eggs from mine and even my New Hampshire reds lay very very light colored eggs. I really don't like to sell them with that color, my customers prefer a little darker more med brown egg as do I.

AL

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Pulled up this posting looking for Pine grove as my friend Trilyn is interested in you RIR's. Are they good layers? Trilyn has her heart set on your RIR's, I'm just her partner in crime. Of course she's mine too when it comes to Delawares. [​IMG]

As for the NHR's that may be, however there are two types of RIR's production and heritage. The same with Barred Rocks.

Many of the heritage breeds were at one time the newly developed commerical breed. Each out placed the next in line. Now we have the production White Leghorn for eggs and the Cornish cross for meat.

I'm sure some remember buying "Broilers" or "Roasting" or "Stewing" chickens. That's how they were advertised. Now you get Cornish cross for meat.

Sorry I got carried away.

Rancher

8. shortstaque

shortstaque Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Bucks County, PA
    Your RIR looks just like my RIR, which I got from a hatchery. Sorry you didn't get the color egg you wanted. [​IMG]

Regardless of the color, homelaid eggs taste the best!!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Welp, I guess from what I'm reading here, my RIRs aren't "real". Dang. Guess I got gyped. Oh, wait, no I didn't....check these out.
    [​IMG]
    (My favorites are the speckled)

10. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by