Rhode Island Red? Gender?

Renee572

Songster
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
This chicken is 13 weeks old. I think I know what gender it is but I want to see how many people agree or disagree with me as I know someone who is pretty convinced it is the opposite of what I think. I'm not gonna say what I think so I don't sway anyone.
13 weeks
12 weeks
11 weeks

That's a whole lot of people saying rooster. A few follow up questions... what makes you think rooster? It this chicken is indeed a rooster why are his comb and waddles still very small and not red at all? When should I expect a crow? Obviously the barred rock next to this one is a rooster and he started crowing yesterday and is a week younger then the red one. Does that mean my barred rock is the alpha?

I've never dealt with roosters before. And I cannot keep roosters. Also this red one is from the feed store where it was supposed to be a sexed pullet so that's really irritating! :/

Sorry,I can't tell from the pic...not close enough.
They're the feathers just above the tail I was talking about. Anyway if you have another hen and rooster to compare the feathers you'll pick it straight away..the cockerels saddle feathers are pointier.
I've got 30 odd mixed breed hens and about 10 roos and so far this feather sexing technique is proving pretty reliable :)

Back
Top Bottom