Rhode Island Red Ill

rhondacarpenter

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 4, 2011
We have had really cold weather and ice and snow here like in most of the midwest so I have been keeping the girls locked up so they stay warm. Yesterday I noticed one of my rhode Island reds a young one (6 months) didn't leave her nesting box when I went in to feed and collect eggs. I didn't think much of it as it is cold and she was not fluffed up or anything. But when I went out to give them food and water last night she was still in her box. I lifted her up and there was a small amount of poop on her tail feathers. I noticed her vent was contracting so I figured she was going to lay her first egg. I left her in the box but this morning she was still in her box and she was not moving. Her breathing seems fine she has all her feathers, her feet look good although she wont stand. I brought her in the house and gave her a warm bath massaging her thinking she might be egg bound. I rubbed olive oil on her vent and dripped some into the vent. The vent is clear and there is no mucus or poop but ti s constricting (opening and closing). She seems lithatgic and has not eaten at all her crop is empty as far as I can tell. I ahve her set up in the bathroom where it is nice and warm. I am worried. Any thoughts?

I don't know the answer but sending good vibes to you.
hugs.gif
Hope all goes well.

Thanks for the good vibes. I think we need them I am so new to the ranch life that I sometimes feel like I over worry about my critters. 27 chickens, 6 heifers, 2 dogs, 5 cats and I am thinking about raising some quail this summer.

Back
Top Bottom