rhode island red or buff orpington?

oh, i forgot to say,, all my jersey giant babies are really skittish... all the others i have ever raised the exact same way , were sooo much sweeter, and actually wanted to be around me... the jersey giants only care about if i brought them a treat or not.... i was excited, because i thought that was the breed i wanted, but now im not so sure.. they are not really tame/sweet.... what do yall think? do yall have nice jersey giants?

Augie,,,,I have both RIR and BO...there are a few things to consider. Buff's go broody...at the mention of the word chicks! ( I have 4 broody now)My RIR have never gone broody...I have had them 3 yrs now. The RIR eggs are a bit larger than my BO. And, in MY opinion, the BO are alot friendlier. Especially the Roos. However, the BO are more prone to lay dureing the winter...and the RIR, tend to slow down ALOT!
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Wow that made my eyes cross reading it!
BO's or RIR's? Two of my faves. Hmmm tough choice and not much between them.... but I'd take the RIR's.

My RIR hen Red was definitely the dominant one and rather loud. Also sort of skittish.

My BO's are friendly but not overly so- they aren't huge fans of being loved on but they will come when called, follow you around, etc.

One of my BO's goes broody at the sight of an egg- the other two think she's a nutter and wonder what is she doing sittin there so much?
roll.png

All of them are/were good layers, but the RIR made the most mess with feed. (Now it's the mice that come to get the leftovers from the feeder.)

I have only owned a small flock of BO's so I can't compare them to RIR. I can say that my chickens were very gentle sweethearts. They also were prolific egg layers.

BO or RIR I would go with the RIR

of the others you mentioned I would do the barred rocks

why are you wanting to narrow down to 2 breeds, I have a dozen breeds it makes for a colorfull flock The only time breed matters is if you are wanting to raise/sell pure, chicks/hatching eggs, and you can seperate into breeding pens for that.

My buffs are my favorites as they are the sweetest and really quite beautiful. I love the golden color and the gentle eye expressions.

Anne

I have 2 buffs, 2 rhoadies, a silver lace, an Australorp and a br. Of them all, the buffs are by far the most easy going, gentle, etc. The rhoadies are the instigators in attacking the others - they peck and are just nasty tempered. About to give them away. I would add more buffs.

Back
Top Bottom