Rhode Island Red rooster lays egg

Cockahen

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
This spring I bought 6 pullets at tractor supply...or what I thought were all pullets. One of the "hens" was looking more and more like a male so we figured tractor supply just made a mistake and put a rooster in with its pullets so we just kept it and let it go where it wanted. Today I went outside and the rooster was squatting in its pen(not the nesting boxes) and it laid a medium size white egg, the second it hit the ground the hens rushed over and ate the egg. It was its only egg I know of. Is it a rooster or hen? Why did it lay an egg?

welcome-byc.gif
It is 100 % a hen, and it laid an egg because that is what hens do. Absolutely no rooster feathering characteristics, and large combs on laying hens are the norm.

That's the good news, the bad news is egg eating is a hard habit to stop. The others will quickly learn to do the same thing.

If the shell was broken or soft, it's fair game. However, to be sure it's not related to a protein deficiency, be sure to keep them on grower until they are all laying. And minimize treats.

In late April I aired 15 pullets, 10 wyandotte, and 5 Brown Leghorn, and one Leghorn cockrell. My grandkids suggested I name the Cockrell Chanteclair which I did. In the last tree days Chanteclair has laid two eggs. I've now determined he is a cross dresser and her name has been changed to Clair. Big combs and wattles do not make a rooster. LOL.

In late April I aquired 15 pullets, 10 wyandotte and 5 Brown Leghorn. I also purchased one Leghorn cockrell. My wonderful grandkids suggested naming him Chanteclair.
In the last 3 days I observed Chanteclair laying 2 eggs. He is beautiful, large red comb and wattles, superior in size to the rest. I am of the opinion that roosters do not lay eggs. Chanteclair is a cross dresser and now goes by Clair. LOL.
A large comb and wattles do NOT A ROOSTER MAKE.

Back
Top Bottom