Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
These were when Regina was about 4.5 weeks old.

These were when Regina was about 4.5 weeks old.

I am surprised you got Regina to hold still long enough to get pictures. I tried so many times to get pictures of my chickens when they were little, they didn't like it at all...
lol.png

New to RIRs I didn't even know I had them! I have silkies I keep as pets and my mother got me some laying hens from my grandfather so we can start getting eggs. I have 2 fairly old golden sex linked hens that give me an egg about 4-5 times a week. I also got 3 chicks with my sex linked that I thought were of the same breed but I have noticed their feathers not getting lighter as they have matured. They are a deep red. I was told to have 2 girls and a boy, but none have crowed or layed yet. They are each very friendly and I found it so humorous that can fly! Or glide.. Because my silkies just stand there and don't do much, but these little suckers have a blast scaling the walls of the coop and perching. They sit on my shoulders like parrots and love attention! I will have to get some pictures up for y'all to take a look! I am very happy with my little ones so far!:) I'm sure they aren't pure RIR because they aren't from a breeder but they totaly fit the characteristics of them!

Hi! Need some help!!!! I've got 8 RIRs, 2 yrs old, and have been free roaming sine July '13. Every since we let them free roam, they have gone to 2 - 3 eggs per day. I did find some of them laying under bushes and now that is not even happening. I did what someone suggested and put them back up for a couple of days to refresh their memories on where their boxes were and still no changes. Today I had a really small egg layed by one of our best layers and this has happened once before. I just wish I could get our girls to laying good for me again. We got 6 buff orpington bantams and they are so precious. They r 3 mo. old now and are slowly blending them in with the Reds. Can you help me to get our Reds to laying like they should. Merry Christmas!

Hi! Need some help!!!! I've got 8 RIRs, 2 yrs old, and have been free roaming sine July '13. Every since we let them free roam, they have gone to 2 - 3 eggs per day. I did find some of them laying under bushes and now that is not even happening. I did what someone suggested and put them back up for a couple of days to refresh their memories on where their boxes were and still no changes. Today I had a really small egg layed by one of our best layers and this has happened once before. I just wish I could get our girls to laying good for me again. We got 6 buff orpington bantams and they are so precious. They r 3 mo. old now and are slowly blending them in with the Reds. Can you help me to get our Reds to laying like they should. Merry Christmas!
Is it cold where you are at? when hours of day light decreases that usually makes there laying slow down as does colder weather. Plus they are really good at finding spots to hide eggs. I am sure you only found 1 nest of 5 lol!

Back
Top Bottom