Rhode Island Red Thread!

Pics
Just curious...Are RIR chicks more prone to pasty butt? See, I have 2 silver-laced wyandottes (no pasty butt) and 2 RIR (both have pasty butt). I used warm water and to clean poop. Is there anything else I could do to prevent pasty bottom. Cheers

a little dish of super small chick grit, or some Sweet PDZ (it you already have it on hand for poop shelves), or really fine sand....

They will of course dust bathe in the dish, and make a mess... but they will peck at some of it, and that will help reduce the pasty butt problems.

However, I have found that once they have pasty butt, you really have to check them twice a day, every day for the next week, because it is highly likely to happen again. I am not sure if it is because it is so hard to get the bottom perfectly clean, and the smallest speck of poop left over sticks to the new poop..... or if it is an individual chick thing..... dunno

But I DO know that you need to keep checking... nothing worse than a perfectly healthy baby falling over dead because it couldn't poop..

GeoJerry watch and make sure they are drinking enough, mine tend to be more particular about their water than the other chicks, won't drink it if it has any debris in it, It doesn't matter on the breed though they can all get it. Just keep an eye on it, some take more than once to get it cleared up others only take the one time, and the only thing we did was watched them closer and made sure they were drinking plenty of water

Just curious...Are RIR chicks more prone to pasty butt? See, I have 2 silver-laced wyandottes (no pasty butt) and 2 RIR (both have pasty butt). I used warm water and to clean poop. Is there anything else I could do to prevent pasty bottom. Cheers

Get you some Molasses and use a teaspoon to a tablespoon of it depending on how big a container you use for your chicks waterer. I have used that for years to clear up pasty butts on chicks. You can find it in the cereal isle in the grocery store with the maple syrup.

One of my 1 week old chicks.
Amazed how fast their wings grow in. They have beautiful coloring too.

GeoJerry

they are amazingly fast on feathering compared to some of the other breeds I have, I have had mine for going on 3 weeks now , and they have an attitude, they are little escape artists though now lol. they broke out today as they wanted to go out free ranging with the older chicks 3 month old cockrel and the ducks .

It was hilarious too, they dug up some bug between the 4 of them and proceeded to torment the older chicks with it and didn't loose it, but the others are smart enough not to mess with them between protective 12-13 week momma thats been raising them and the cockrel took a liking to them too, the others don't like the wrath of either and at least one of the RIR's is a cockrel that ain't afraid to get in their face either so they can't do a sneak attack on them.

thinking might have to change the grow out pen to Fort Knox

Last edited:
Mine(4) are in with 5 barred rocks, 1 americana, 6 cornish crosses and the 2 ducks( one of them musta been crossed with Godzilla it's huge), they get along well with all of them they just torment the older ones cause the one playing momma and the older rooster protect them, they've been in the coop in a brooder/grow out pen though since they came home at a few days old

Hope they either calm down as they get older or things at least continue peacefully

Last edited:
I'm very worried, I have 4 RIR 3 Bater browns and 2 Austrolorps. The RIR are 4 years old and not laying and one of them is sick. She is not eating or drinking and moves away from the group so they don't attack her for being weak and sick. She had a slimy mouth and has trouble breathing, doesn't like walking and makes no attempt to move away if you get to close or pick her up if she feels uncomfortable. I just wanted to know what is wring with her and if she will infect the others. My other chickens that aren't RIR's are about 20 weeks. Please help I don't want her to die of starvation or infect the others.
Thanks

I'm very worried, I have 4 RIR 3 Bater browns and 2 Austrolorps. The RIR are 4 years old and not laying and one of them is sick. She is not eating or drinking and moves away from the group so they don't attack her for being weak and sick. She had a slimy mouth and has trouble breathing, doesn't like walking and makes no attempt to move away if you get to close or pick her up if she feels uncomfortable. I just wanted to know what is wring with her and if she will infect the others. My other chickens that aren't RIR's are about 20 weeks. Please help I don't want her to die of starvation or infect the others.
Thanks
unfortunately, production RIR are wonderful birds, but not bred for a very long life.

I can't even guess what could be wrong with her, but considering her age, I would put her out of her misery.

Unless you see any symptoms in other other flock members I would chalk it up to age.

Sorry for this! It is heartbreaking to have to put down a long time flock member.
hugs.gif
Again, SUPER hugs and encouragement!

Back
Top Bottom