Rhode Island Red X White Leghorns at the local feed store

BYOChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Hey folks, thinking of getting some 4 month old crosses at the local feed store. Anybody have any thoughts on this combination bird. They look real light colored tan...like some Buffs I have seen. The feed store says they will lay brown eggs and this is a cross they have sold for a long time. They are going to be added to my RIR, Barred Rock, Black Sex Link, Ameraucana 10 month olds.

Sounds like what the local hatcheries have given to feed stores for years... you should get plenty of eggs from them!

Think I can put them in the pen/coop same day I get them if I keep an eye on them? They seem as big as my first gen flock.

i don't deal with bringing live birds onto my property, but i have read you should always keep them separate for 30 days (i think). you don't know their history and if something is wrong with them, you don't want it to spread throughout your flock(s).

Well. I added 2 crosses and also 2 cuckoo marans. The crosses are bigger than the marans. I mixed them in with the older girls and there was some pecking orders that were straightened out. The older flock of 5 were funny to watch as the new gang of 4 arrived. The two groups have stayed apart and the younger girls are staying together. I had to help a few of the new girls get into the coop, but they seem to be working it out. I will keep a closer look the next few days to make sure all is well.

Back
Top Bottom